Gotta have the bait

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Cat<*(((><Brown, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Cat<*(((><Brown

Cat<*(((><Brown New Member

State:
    nc
    OK guys. Here's the age old question that everyone has to answer to be sucessful. How the heck do ya catch the bait (shad). If you can find them in shallow water it's simple but when they are in 40' of water they run out from under the net. Or am I the only one that has this trouble? What size net and weight do ya'll use? I will admit I need more practice with the net but with that said any ideas will be greatly appreciated. If I can solve this problem it's on. For now I fish live bream and cut bait but some nights you just got to have shad. Good luck to everyone and I'll see ya on the water.
    <*(((><

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I can catch shad in shallower water year round. In the winter I simply throw around hot water discharges at the power plants. But i realize all of you might not have this luxury. (and believe me it's a luxury when u can throw a net 2 times and get hundreds of shad when it's 10 degrees out). But I also add more weight to my nets to get them to sink faster. I tie on several (10-15) half ounce to 3/4 ounce sinkers. it is harder to cast and wares you out quicker, but it also sinks much faster and traps more bait.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the best advice i could give you is either go behind the dams or catch your bait in the dark. i dont even throw my net unless the bait is less than 10ft rather it be 5. i have a 10ft net but it takes alot out of you throwing that thing. a 6,7,or 8ft net will get the job done. instead of trying to catch bait in 40ft of water you are better off finding some in shallower water. look for lighted piers at night but be careful some have brushpiles under them.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i use a monofilliment ten foot diameter net it has a 20 ft rope attatched i throw the net and let the rope slide through my hand with just a little tention on it and feel for the bait to bump around in it when i feel them i give a good jerk and close it up , i have caught shad in 15 ft of water on the bottom , but prefer shallower

docks and marinas are the best places to get bait , but small creeks works aswell

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    the best places that i know of for getting shad is at the boat ramps, the ramps normally hold plenty of shad for the night, it may take you a couple of throws to get some, but its worth it, once its dark out, take a trip to the boat ramp or a peir where they have some light hitting the water and throw over the reflection of the light, they will normally be there... as for gettin better at throwin, just practice as much as you can, its the only way of getting good at it

6. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I agree with catfishrus, It is a lot easier to catch when it is dark . Try getting to the lake an hour before daylight and hit the lighted piers and boat docks. Check up in coves in swallow water. Start out with a smaller net and get good at throwing it. All I have ever used is 5 and 6 ft. nets. Of course there is always a good chance to catch shad in moving water behind dams. You just have to know the area and stay off of rocks.

What lakes do you fish ?

7. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I have heard of people using a spot light (night time) to attract the shad to the top of the water and then throw the cast net when you can see them schooling just below the surface....

If you find any light shining on the water (as was previously mentioned) that would be your best shot...hope that helps...

good luck!!!!

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    big blaze you are right about the spot light but what i do is get my driver to hold the light on the water beside the boat and just put the boat in gear (idle)and when you see them on the top throw the net. i fished a tourney this year and was trying to catch bait early that morning and wasnt marking any but the spot light found the bait for me right on the top. be careful with the spot lights they will burn a boat to the ground fast and carpet in a new boat even faster.:sad2:

9. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    just get a hook and some worm and throw it out under a good ol bobber and catch a bream, hell i've caught shad like that exce[t with a small bread ball

10. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    That probley wouldn't be the best plan catman1516. For that would be diffucult to catch that many shad on small doughballs. In the winter I've gone through 5 lbs of shad in the mornings, half of a 5 gallon bucket. It's not that diffucult to catch them with a castnet.

11. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    there was a video going around not too long ago, can't find the post with it though, but it had 2 guys in a boat shinning the spot light into the water while they were moving, shad were jumping at the light everwhere, they had come up with the idea of shinning the light into the boat real quick and the shad followed the light right into the boat... i'd say that would be the way to get em... lol... i'm goin to be tryin that next time i get on the water.

12. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Typically and I say typically gizzard shad won't bite on bait...most of the smaller shad (alewifes and thread fin)are plankton eaters, now you can catch skipjack herring, white perch, american and hickory shad on jigs, sabiki rigs and spoons but I have fished in a stream where 3-4 lb. gizzard shad were bouncing off my legs but they wouldn't hit a hook.

You need to throw a cast net. In the winter months even bream become difficult to find especially when the water starts dropping down in the 40's.

When the bite is on you will need ALOT of bait and in winter cut gizzard shad seem to be the bait of choice..

just my 2 cents...

13. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Is this the video you are talking about...

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/flying-fish.html