Gotta get a life before I am dead...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Jan 31, 2008.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gotta get a life before I am dead or is there life after you are dead?

Got up this morning, I get up about the time most people are going to bed, and planned my day. Checked this forum at 2:00 A.M., deader than a bent over nail. Went through the stuff ya can do on the computer and leaned back and looked at the ceiling, (ceiling needs painting). Ok, I think, today I am going to take the frozen battery out my truck, remove the alternator, go to the junk yard, get a new alternator, slap in a used battery and put it out on the road for sale as a wood hauler. Plan one.

Checked the forum. Nothing exciting. Went back to planning.

Nancy wants stuffed cabbage rolls for dinner, so I'll go through my recipes for that stuff. Plan two

Checked the forum. Cool, something I can respond to. Did. Back to planning.

Let the dogs out and checked the weather. Cold, real cold, too cold to take out the battery. End of plan One.

Came back in, checked forum. I didn't like something that guy said. Should I respond. Nooooo! Leave it alone. Back to planning. Gotta have a productive day.

Found a good stuffed cabbage roll recipe. Need some sides. What do you have as sides and dessert to stuffed cabbage rolls, sweet potatoes like MarkJ mentioned on his post? Need a plan. Gotta make the day worthwhile.

Back into the forum, maybe somebody has mentioned sides to cabbage rolls. Nope. Might as well look around at the rest of the forum, to see what is going on. Some interesting things. Can't respond, 'cause I am a Yankee and those guys in the South won't listen to you anyhow. Back to planning.

Need to straighten out the garage door where I ran into it with the tractor cleaning snow. Yes something to do. Wait, it is cold out there, if I open the garage door the house will get cold. End that plan, go back into the forum.

Ya know that is just the start. I gotta get a plan. I have decided the best plan is to forget what needs to be done and just stay in the forum. Glad my social security check is a lock and Nancy is working. You poor devils that got to do something, like make a living, besides this forum, I really feel sorry for you.

Wonder if okra goes good with cabbage rolls as a side? Think I will ask my buddies on BOC

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never had your cabbage rolls John, but I can't imagine anything going well with them lol. Good luck on your endeavors. Take some pictures out the window, so we can see. Just started snowing here. I think it's gonna get nasty. Man, the weather this week has just been depressing.

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, you're suppose to be in deep sleep at 2 AM! I wake almost every night about then but not about going to get up. Sometimes kick on the TV, that'll always put me back to sleep but it usually wakes Betty.

Never heard of Cabbage rolls but Betty said she had...

Good luck with your plan, I don't like plans, just take a day at a time.

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sorry PB,
    I can't help you buddy.
    if it gets past grits and eggs I'm lost?? now where's that pepper.:smile2:

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    John,

I ate so many cabbage cores as a kid, I can't stand cabbage. Can't stand to smell it cooking, even. Alas, I have no suggestions for your additional item for dinner.

Hopefully some of the other more culinary people will help you, before it's too late. BTW, are you on Central time? I'll wait for your response, instead of looking it up on the web. Figure you are, but what do I know?

Keep warm,
    Cheryl

6. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    John's cabbage rolls. Hmmm.

Grandma used to boil cabbage for dinner when I was a kid.

I despised it...but I can hear her voice like it was yesterday..."Eat your cabbage". :eek:oooh:

I'd stare blankly across the table at her....knowing full well she was gonna make me eat it.

"Quit lookin' at me...and eat it!!!"

Cabbage...and beets.

Nothin' will make a guy hold a grudge like being forced to eat beets.

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well John.......most cabbage rolls have a meat or meat and Irish potato filling, with tomato sauce on top. Is that the sort of thing you're making? I don't know about the stuffed sweet potatoes with that, pineapple and all; but maybe, people do eat pineapple on pizza :big_smile:. However, if your recipe has potatoes in it already, I personally wouldn't choose another potato as a side. If not, I think some plain old fried Irish taters would be good with 'em. Ummmm.....if Nancy liked that sweet tater pie you made as well as you said she did though, she'd probably be fine with the stuffed ones :wink:.

Oops, just realized you were mentioning the sweet potatoes as DESSERT perhaps. Yeah, that might work!

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey you cabbage rollin yankee! i would have to suggest some dark lager, a warm fire, a "dirty" movie like "ratatoullie" (disney movie about rats and food), and for dessert a big ol slice of humble pudding.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bet Beano would go good with them! LOL

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    mr john dont know what your stuffing is but if it aint ham boiled ham goes well with cabbage.good eating and for hechs sake lay off the w--k your retired.

11. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i agree w/ole fin, just take it 1 day ata time, no plan at all

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, sides for cabbage rolls

Humas with pita bread
    bbq balogna
    baked potato

I love cabbage, boiled, fried, steamed, cooked in rolls with basted with tomato sauce. YUM!!!

13. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    John it seems to me from reading your threads you already have a life. I look forward to getting off work in the morning coming home and seeing what you've posted. It always gives me a good chuckle before i grab a bite too eat,shower and go to bed!!

14. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    MMM GOOD,Love them Cabbage Rolls.I Eats Um every time the Wife makes Um,Which is NEVER,Come to think of it She don't use the stove much any more says it gives Her Oven Fumes,Sorta like some of the other things She has that She don't use any more either!!! (Coulden't be My Looks now could it?) I Think I better not expand on that one,haven't had any Liquid refreshment Yet today cause I have to go back to work later this evening for Inventory and they Frown on You Comming in Juiced Up what a BUNCH of Pocket Protectors.Used to do some of My Finest work like that. Oh well times change Right.Now on to the Question at hand Sides for the Cabbage Rolls? Well I Might suggest a Big Ol Glass of Crown. Here is How I do it I take a bite of Cabbage Roll and choke it down and follow up with a Big Old swig of Crown swish it around in My mouth a fue times(sorta like You do with a Fine wine like Ripple,or Mad Dog 20/20) Helps get the taste out of Your mouth,on a Good day I can eat three or four of them Bad Boys as long as I don't run out of the Crown side dish.LOL Well there You have it John Supper is All taken care of.I Think We Should have an Award for this one and they will Probably put it in the Library under What's for supper Thread Later
    J.D.:wink:

15. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    John, I have laughed on this forum many many times. It takes a lot to make me laugh. Usually a 12 pack.

You made me laugh John. And laugh and laugh. And It ain't even supper yet. That is when the fun fun begins. LOL

Thanks John. God I won't even need the 12pack, I will save for breakfast. Left over cabbage rolls and beer. Not in that order. LOL.

How many posts is this, God I better check.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OHH Lordy,You two johns are plumb full of it today, I love cabbage ,PB,never had any rolls from it,but i'd try em. as for the Crown ,side dish ,J D hmmm that might be good too.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

17. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Some people don't know gourmet grub when they see it- cabbage and beets are both good eats (with all due respect to Alton B.)!!

Personally, I would serve some rice with 'em - could soak up a bit of the sauce... mm. Good.

I do like the idea of some brown liquid as a side also, but not so much to wash the flavor out, more as a subtle compliment. Personally, my tastes turn toward Mr. Beam's produce - mixed with a splash of ginger ale, that should go excellently well with cabbage rolls.

Maybe some mashed turnips and carrots, too. What do you think? Turnip and carrots always make me think of Memere (can't make the propper accent marks with a 'puter - dang - in case anybody don't know it, "Memere" - pronounced like Memmae - is Canuck for Nanna or Gramma or whatever). I still miss Memere a whole bunch. I bought a big ol' yellow turnip at the market a little while back and the girl at the register looked at it like I was buying a moon rock or something. "What's this?" (From her - With that slightly snooty and disgusted voice - like she tasted something bad). "It's a rutabaga." (From me - with that slightly superior and tolerant voice, like I was talking to a 12 year old - which I think I was.)

Or if you don't want rice, then corn bread! Ummm. With a little drizzle of honey on it! Mmmm. Cornbread and honey washed down with a swig of Jim and Ginger. Mmmmm. Winter aint half bad after all.

I made a big pot of black bean soup the other day. That was darn good, too (with corn bread and Jim and Ginger). Only thing was, it got awful hot under the covers later that night, if you know what I mean. Cabbage'll do that, too. Guess that's where the Beano come in.

18. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Hey postbeetle, you outta write a column for a newspaper buddy. I think you got talent, (not for cookin though), man I hate cabbage rolls!

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    That bag that comes with the crown if for the cabbage. :wink:

20. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    There is a fine line between Golabki and Golumpki (cabbage rolls).

It depends on whether you are from Northern Poland or Southern Poland. Kinda like this forum, Northern vs Southern. It is still cabbage rolls.

Some of you know I like to cook. I am, as in many things, a little eccentric about how I go about that. I decide on a recipe like this..........

I root around in one of the dozen cookbooks I got, I get on the internet and scope out 3 or four cooking sites I frequent and I might call Aunt Heloise and ask her. Always, always use a recipe made up by a woman. If you use a recipe made up by a man it takes all the challenge out of it, 'cause it is always right. I lay 3 of those recipes out on the kitchen counter, go through them diligently, wad them all up and throw them in the round barrel. I then make it the way I want to with some of the suggestions from all 3 recipes. When Nancy sits down to dinner it is like going out on a blind date every night of the week, never know what's under the crust.

Just an aside here, thinking about women. This is one of John's truism's. Write it down and put it in your bible to bookmark one of your favorite passages, something like "Thou shalt not sin" that is a good one.

John's Truism, #1785 which is the post # of this essay.

When you want an honest answer from a woman what you do is get 3 women at random. Sit them on a couch next to each other. Tell them you are going to ask them a question and you want an honest answer. They glance at each other out of the corners of their eyes and get a little smirk at the corner of their mouth. They think they got ya. You ask them the question you want the truth to and then you tell them you want their answers separately in another room. (You can see the sweat breaking out on their foreheads) Take them one at a time into the next room and have them give you their answer. They know what they would like to say but they are so traumatized to think that one of the other gals might actually tell you the truth they break down and you got it. By the time you go through all three of them, and the answers are close to being what you thought you should hear, you know you got something you can bank on. Time consuming I realize, but the rest of the day goes smoothly.

By the way the Golabki was delicious. Didn't need sides other than dessert and that was Chocolate devils food cake. Another one under my belt, on to today.

John.