Gotta get a cat rig any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Aftercats, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    I don't have a good cat rig and need some ideas of what to get and new vs old rod and reels? Any help appricated.:confused:

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Welcome to the site! You didn't give much on what you like to use. But I use abu baitcasters(6000 series) and get you a rod for it. I use Quantum Big Cat rods. But you can get some nice ulgy stick rods cheaper. But it is all in what you want. I would suggest to get on line to Catfish Connection and see the selection there. They carry everything you will need to catfishing. Good luck to you.

3. bj78

bj78 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What kind of cat are you fishing for???

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Rather than suggesting equipment to use, since it is really personal preferance, I will suggest things NOT to use.

#1 Zebco 202 - little light for cats
    #2 Spincast reels in general - Unless you are going for small, eating size channels, most spincast reels will be damaged by large fish

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Abu garcia 6500 and a quantum bigcat medium heavy action

6. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i just got this penn 220gto and quantam bigcat heavy action rod. i like the combo . i think it will work well. under $100.00!

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Hey aftercats, what part of TN are you from? As you see in my sig I live in clarksville. The fishing gear needed depends on what you want, you can spend alot or not. A good open face reel with medium action pole would be a good start. Or what I would reccomend for about 70.00 dollars from walyworld, a tidewater reel and a cat edition ugly stick, use atleast 20lb test, berkley big game is good, or a braid line. I have both open face spinning and baitcast combos, I like both styles about the same. Drop me a line maybe we can do some fishing.

8. Mugz

Mugz New Member

I've started using the Shimano Cardif 400A(I was using the Garcia 6500's but have found the Shimano's to be smoother reeling and casting) mounted on a 7'6 Falcon original or Cara in Heavy Action.....I've not had a problem with it yet....just my 2 cents....