Gott cooler for a bait tank?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by weathermantrey, Jan 1, 2006.

1. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    Has anybody out there ever converted a GOTT cooler into a bait tank? I'm looking at buying a round bait tank and they're rather pricey. I was thinking of making one out of a round gott cooler, but the biggest one I can find is only 10 gallons. I'd like to have 20 or 30 gallons. Does anybody know if gott ever made a round cooler that big? I've thought about using a plastic drum, but an insulated bait tank is a must for me.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Why cant you insulate a drum? Not as pretty as the store bought ones but gets the job done.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    unless your gonna be putting shad in there i'd just go with a square cooler.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah just dont use a rectangle cooler for shad because they will die.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Try a 35 gallon drum inside a 55 gallon drum. Cut them off the hight you need and fix the 35 gallon one in the middle of the 55 gallon drum. Then foam in between them.
    Pete

6. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have been thinking about converting a coleman cooler into a cooler for bluegill and minnow/shinners. I think shad would be point less in something that small try to keep them alive. Plus it a square won't they run into the walls?

My question is what kind of filter/airator to keep them alive and how much money does it cost?

Josh

BTW- the attachment is the kind of cooler I wana use!

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Josh that should work fine for blue gills, and stuff. You can get a Bilge Pump at Wal-Mart they are about $20....I think that would work. Alot of Shad Tanks run off of Bilge Pumps.

And Yeah the reason you cant put shad in something rectangle or sqaure is because they will run into the corners, get stuck in the corners, and they will die.

Zakk :)

8. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Zakk,

I might be wrong but a bilge pump, pumps water out of something like BOAT!!!!

I wouldn't be keeping them long only 5 days at the most.

I'm thinking about maybe getting a baby pool for it and and a cooler so I can transport them from garage too the fishing hole

I might get the pool for shad too but I think that they are real hard to keep alive. I will just use the cooler for transport.Does the pretty girl come with it??

Josh

9. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Josh, the bildge pump in this case is used to to circulate the water and oxegenate i as it pumps it.
    Look at catfish connections pumps. They have one with a stick-on discharge that also doubles as as bildge pump. That should give ya the idea.

10. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
  11. air4se

air4se New Member

State:
    Jackson TN
    My bro in law cut a 55 gallon plastic drum, put insulation around it and then wrapped it with duct tape. It will leep shad for a week. He cut a piece of wood and made a top for it and put an aerator in it. Works good even in August. I would suggest at least a partial water change if you keep them longer than a week.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah thats the one I'm talking about. Although you can make them pump water out of a boat also.

Zakk :)