Got way to close to a Cottonmouth yesterday

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by youngcatfisherman55, Jul 7, 2006.

1. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I went fishing on Lake Wylie and was fishing off of Copperhead Island (thats what its called) and it was about 10 PM. All of a sudden my buddy looked down and there was a water moccasin about 1 or 2 feet in front of us. Scared me half to death. We jumped up and started to try to get rid of him and finally hit him in the head with a rock and he took off. The same thing has happened the past two nights except on the first night it was at Mountain Island Lake. Anybody have any advice on how to keep those snakes as far away as possible? Thanks.

2. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Your best bet if you're looking to avoid them like the plague is to stay on docks at night. I saw a large, largemouth bass floppin around in some weeds so I picked it up and found that it was on someone's stringer, with about a 6 foot cottonmouth attached to it.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Just remember that you are on their turff. Fussin and raisin cane ain't gonna do nothin but provoke them. They don't want any parts of you either.

4. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah, the only reason we started throwing rocks at it is because it kept on coming straight to us. I know that I cant avoid them and I definetely aint gonna move if I'm catchin fish. I'll just have to make peace with em. I know that light attracts snakes so I keep the light off mostly all time at night.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I agree with Big George, stay away from them. You are in their water. Just stay calm and they will pass by. (hopefully, LMAO)

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Don't worry about them. If they get too close just move them away with a long stick.

Eric

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    That wh the change of underwear it was his bussiness. I hate snakes. f they won't leave I will give them plenty of room. If they continue to follow me they die. Crap i hate snakes did you know that?

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I was always told that if you take a rope and lay it in a circle around you that they won't cross over the rope. Something about it tckleling thier bellies. Don't know if thats true or not,never have tried it. A 22 works real well also.

9. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    i have fished with them right next to me i usually try and catch a small gill and cut the tail and fins off and drop it to them and they leave, most of the time they are looking for an easy meal. not to harm you an any way.

10. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You could try to find yourself an Irish Monk with a little flute.:lol:

11. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Just know that they are there and that you've got to keep your eyes open.
    There are no snake repellents unfortunately.

12. FROG

FROG New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    you can try to use moth balls snakes can not stand the smell I did not know that light attracts them

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Try to stay away from them. I know thats not always possible considering they want what you have heat from the lantern and food if you have fish on a stringer. Don't get crazy like a friend of mine and try to catch it. Luckily it was a nonpoisones snake but we didn't know that until after about three hours in the ER.

14. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Everytime I'm fishin with my dad when we see a snake scootin across the top of the water he tries to hook it. You'd think I was the parent. :tounge_out:

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shoot 'Em. Plain & Simple. Shoot 'Em.

16. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I have a fishing spot that I go to with my grandson and the snakes are bad in the water. Was useing a stringer to keep my fish on but after the third time of having snakes on my fish I changed to a ice chest. I also carry a gun now don't want the snakes getting close to my grandson.

17. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Long as you learn the difference between the venomous ones and the nonvenomous ones you should be ok. I'd leave 'em be, either way, if you're out in timbuck two where folks don't generally go, but if you're someplace like a picnic area at the shoreline where people frequently bring kids and you know for certain that you got a venomous one in front of you, I'd kill it as a safety measure. If it's a non-venomous snake, let it be or relocate it if there are kids around who might get themselves bitten. I've removed a few nonvenomous snakes from the Eagle Pass recreation area this year while there were children around who might mess with it andcause themselves some trouble, and I've killed 2 rattlers in that area. I just don't see a point in letting a venomous snake go on about it's business someplace where a day or two later a kid might wind up getting bit by it. By the same token, out in the middle of nowhere, where there ain't likely to BE any kids wandering about, I see no point inkilling them if I can just as easily avoid them.

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    A 22 loaded with snake shot, that snake won't bother you any more. :wink:

19. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    yea all you have to do is pick them up and kiss them on the head. When you put them back on the ground let them slide they belly over your hand,they like that.They come to light because they know they have found someone to be friends with.Hope this helps.....

P.S. Just kidding,but with you being on their turf you need to be careful.. Most the time when I'm fishing for bream, if I can find a log jam or brush pile with snakes there I'll fish there.If you can find snakes there is usually bream there...

20. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Would sliced up snake make good bait?? If they want to be where I am at, then they better be bullet proof. My little 22 seems to like to shoot snakes.