Got to go to Tawakoni for a few hours today

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cathog, Jan 7, 2009.

1. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Got off work today around 12:30. Decided to go to Tawakoni for a few hours. Was on the water by 1:30, off by 4:30. Caught 2 blues, a 21 and a 19. Had another pretty good one on that got off. Would have taken pics but was by myself today, couldn't find anyone else off of work. All in all a good few hours of fishing, and the wind wasn't blowing 90. LOL:tounge_out:

2. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Good job again Gary.

3. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    whats the method of fishing done on this lake? driftin , draggin, bumpin, anchor? is there current?

4. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I guess by your definitions you posted on another thread it would be draggin. Around here we call it drifting, lines out about 60 to 80 yards behind the boat(or out of the side), carolina rigged. We let the wind push us along, slowing down with drift socks, and keeping everything straight with the trolling motor. Not much current in the lake, but the wind gets it up in a hurry.

5. SouthernCatdaddy

SouthernCatdaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Do you put a float on your leader or not? Thanks.

6. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Yes I run a 2 1/2" float about 5" from the hook.

7. 21fishing

21fishing New Member

State:
    Texas
    where do you fish? location if you wouldn't mind letting us know.

Allen Bell

8. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I fish anywhere on the lake I can find bottom structure. Any kind of rapid depth changes or creek channels will hold the blues close by. Also if you can find the baitfish schooled up, the blues are not far from them. Main lake points and some secondary points provide a lot of this structure.

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    as far as structure goes, i find that you cant really beat a good creek or old river channel. Especailly if you can find a good point leading out into it. Kinda what i call a "finger" goin out and touching the channel
    I find that hard to drift though even with perfect winds, I am reading alot about spider rigging and think this might be the way to attack this kind of structure

10. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    thats called a sandie cooper rig

11. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Went back today 1/11/09. Caught a 17,30,13,24,and 27 in that order. Was off of the water by noon. Good day.

12. spencerg

spencerg New Member

State:
    oglesby texas
    Great catch!:big_smile:
    the day wasn't so kind to me. Starter went out, and gas line broke all on the ramp! bad day!! Glad your day went better than mine.

13. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Gas lines are cheap, hopefully the starter will be also. Hope you are back on the water in no time. I had a day almost like that new years day. Just got on the fish good, and broke my trolling motor. I fixed it the next day, can't stand to be marooned for too long.:smile2:

14. spencerg

spencerg New Member

State:
    oglesby texas
    Yep gas lines are cheap, picked one up for 10$. I went to autozone and got some brushes for an alternator that I made fit, so the starter works now. So all in all I am out 15$ and a days fishing. O well, there is always next weekend. Hopefully the good lord will put some biguns in my boat next time.

15. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Pic of the 30 yesterday. I was by myself so just took a picture of it in the bootom of the boat. Released right after taken. DSC00038.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

16. SouthernCatdaddy

State:
    Texas
    Im new too the drifting Ive got my drift rig set up with a float and everything but I cant seem to find any slinky weights. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good weight to use or what kind? Thanks in advance.

17. trlrman

trlrman New Member

State:
    texas
    check wyliecats post in how to,good stuff

18. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka

This is how I make my drifting weights. I take two 1 by 4's and clamp them toghether with strong clamps. Then drill 3/8 holes in the top. the deeper you drill them the more wieght you'll have. For fishing here in Kansas I will drill them about 3" deep. Take a swivle and bend one of the ends. The best way to describe it is to close the O. Make it narrower. Then while pouring your lead stich the bent end of the swivle into the wet lead. After the lead hardens take the clamps off and you have good driftin swivles. Or you can buy Team Catfish's sinkers that are snagless.

19. SouthernCatdaddy

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks.

20. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Calvin,

I sent you a private message on how I make mine. I was just wondering if you received it.

Gary