Got to go fishing/hunting today!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by derbycitycatman, Sep 19, 2005.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive got to tell this story. Before fishing I checked on a new deerstand I put out and do some squirrel hunting. I decided to sit a spell in my stand, and about 10 minutes later out pop two greys. Well Bam Bam, two down and then I decided to go fishing. I drive back to the pond and start fishing.
    I used the liver and heart of the squirrels to catch those two cats. Yeah free bait and I save my chicken liver for another day.

While Im fishing Im hearing rustling in the brush just a couple feet from me. I grab my 410 and check it out. Mistake, 2-3-4 snakes, I dont know cause I ran like a little girl. They were just black snakes but man I hate snakes.

I was hearing squirrels in the woods but I have to go past these snakes to get there quick and i say screw it. So I finally get over the snakes and Im fishing with the shotgun in my lap, and I notice there are doves everywhere.
    Ive never seen so many doves before, I didnt know if season was in so i didnt shoot at any. I could have killed 20 easy they were surrounding this little pond. I could hear them everywhere, even in the field behind me.

Well its getting dark and the bats are coming out. At this pond if you want to fish at night you have to start a fire. These dang bats have run me off before and sometimes the fire will keep them away. So I go to the woodpile and guess what??? Yep another black snake, man Im still shaking. I let the little fire I had going burn out and then dump water on it. I got the heck out of there.

Getting out today really got my blood going, its that time of year, great fishing and great hunting. Even if I have to put up with some snakes. :eek:

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Sounds like a good day, minus the snakes. I feel for ya, my old man hates 'em too. I haven't even gotten the guns out this year, been too busy fishing still. Since I moved to MO, I'm pretty stoked. There weren't any red squirrels in NY (where I was living for 3 years) so it's good to be back in the midwest.

3. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

Dude!, I feel your pain man. I don't care for snakes either. Chances are the snakes you encountered weren't poisionous, and kudos for not shooting them, but they creep you out just the same. So goes the life of an outdoorsman. My dad told me story once of him and his best fishing buddy out in the swamp for bluegill. His friend was deathly scared of snakes and always had his .22 pistol on his hip when they went fishing. They eased up into the cypress trees to try their luck and a snake fell in the boat. His buddy blasted three holes in the boat before my ol' man stopped him. They limped it back to the boat ramp. He never hit the snake. My dad picked it up and threw it over the side. Hey, at least you caught fish.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Snakes were def. not poisonous, just what I call Black Racers or cow snakes. Theyre more afraid of me that I am of them. Hack, cough cough. LOL
    One time me and a friend went frog gigging in this same pond in nothing but shorts. After gigging a bunch we decided to get out of the pond. Well I grabbed the flashlight and search the pond again and there in the middle is a 2-3 foot long snake. Cold Chills :crying: I grab my 22 and pop that sucker right between the eyes. He flopped up about 2 feet and splashed back down. I found him the next day up on bank and was nothing but bones with a hole in his head. Best shot I ever made, and from now on when I frog gig I use a boat.

I once made the wrong decision to visit a friend in Western Ky. He took me out on a small river and the place was crawling with what he said was copperheads, I didnt even want to look at them. These things were trying to get in the boat, they were in the trees, and they would even try and drop into the boat. I was never so scared in my life. I still have nightmares about that trip, and Im never going back. :eek: