Got the paperwork done & the boat legal

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by 223Smitty, Jun 28, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd posted some pics here of an old boat ('73 Hustler) I got off my dad. He'd brought this boat home from Florida, where he & my step-mom live (in the winter), 10 years ago & it's sat in his garage since. He has another (V-bottom) boat, so it wasn't like we couldn't go fishing.

I'd got the boat all done, paint, carpet, lights, rodholders, OB motor running, graph/fishfinder, repaired the trailer, axle, lights, etc. Had to wait for the paperwork to go thru the BMV after the Police did their inspections (being as both were titled out-of-state). Got the last of it done yesterday & the plates for the trailer so it's all legal & good to go.

Dad was over yesterday. He doesn't say alot, but I could tell he's anxious to go fishing in it (he loves to fish), lol....and he was promised the "maiden voyage". Both he & my step-mom are up in their years. Dad's in his mid 80's, but still is extremely active, but she has back problems and is having trouble with Alzheimers, so Dad pretty much sticks close to home with her, other than Mondays when he golfs. He doesn't complain about it, but I know it's hard on him, I watched how it was on him taking care of my Mom when she passed-away 10 years ago.

I'm looking forward to spending time out on the water with Dad.....because as time passes, it makes me more aware that our time left to spend together is limited.....I recall us fishing last year. He found a spot that held a few eater channels (2-3 pounders)....lol, everytime he hooked one he had an expression of a 6 year-old kid who just caught his first bluegill. lol.....I guess we all still have some "kid" in us, regardless of our age.

Smitty

2. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Im glad you are able to spend time with your pop, mine is out in california and im here in va just wish I could go fishing with him before the good lord takes him

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good work and you are so right about the time spent with family

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Glad you got your boat going. You hve ben busy on it i know. Well spend the time with your dad it is precious. I know i miss mine. he was my fishing buddy. Good luck.

5. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    yup I lost my dad at a young age you never know spend as much time as you can. Goodluck with the boat.
    Stephen

6. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Good job getting all that done Trapper.
    Now, do whatever you can to make those fishing trips with your dad happen! While I am fortunate enough to still have my father in my life he is no longer able to get out there and fish. I have a ton of memories of fishing trips with my dad when I was younger but I would love nothing more than to have one more trip out catching fish with him. Do it while you are both still able!
    Best of luck, hope he catches a biggun :)

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great post. Good luck with your dad.

8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the replies. I plan on taking some pics as soon as we go out.....lol, hopefully they'll be some fish in them :big_smile:

If not....it won't make it any less of a good time.

Thanks again!
    Smitty

9. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I can't wait to get home and get my dad and grandfather back out on the river. It's been awhile since I've been able to get out with them both. Got my dad out on the river last year, and we had a great time albeit catching only carp, but it really makes you feel lucky.

SudDawg

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Glad to see that your helping your father get on the water again :) That is just as important as taking a kid fishing too..

11. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    congrats happy boating