Got the 4wheeler in Highwater

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by jason berry, Dec 10, 2007.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I tried to cross a creek and the 4wheeler made it all the way to the otherside and died on me. Its got water in the oil and a little in the air filter. Were going to change the oil and the plug is there anything else I need to do before starting it. It was only in the water for about 30 seconds. Its a 4by4 honda forerunner year 99. Any suggestions.

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    make sure that you did not get any water in the cylinders. I would pull the spark plugs and spray the cylinders with WD40 and then with the spark plug still out and gas turned off crank it over a few times to clear out any liquid in the cylinders. Then let the WD evaporate out for awhile and then replace the sparkplugs.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Do what Ed suggested or it will probably not even turn over then also your carb will have a drain screw. Drain the water out of the carburater. After one good run change the oil and filter again.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    also what you may want to do is spray a little carb claner down in there, i case there is any grit or dirt down in there. i would also suggest changing your oil and filters after you run it the first time. 777 got it right on the money.

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Thanks for the info we changed the oil three times and it looks like water got in the gas also because it would idle fine but would die when you tried to gas it but when we ran it on reserve tank it ran fine. We changed the plug and fired it a few times with no plug going to see how tomorrow goes were putting some new gas in it and some carb cleaner.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    another thing i should have mentiuoned. if it is an automatic you may want to drain the tranny fluid and change it as well. just a thought

7. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    pull the plugs crank it over to blow that part out. drain the bowl on your carb if you have a carb. and you should be good to go there built for that crap. i drounded mine a couple weeks ago. mine is fuel injected. we winched it out. and pulled the plugs and dried the air filter best we could. and i was good to go i didnt have any problems at all. my friend has a real old honda 350rx or something like that 3 wheeler. he lost it in the river drug it out. you could hear it sucking in water. he cranked on it and it was blowing a ton of water through his exhaust. and then it fired. and he rode it the rest of the day. changed his oil that night. he didnt pull plugs ot anything and he sank above his handle bars. i wouldnt suggest doing that. but im still blown away that that worked so well for him. i thought he would have had problems to come on later. but it still runs great