got stuck real good!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by chrispbrown27, Sep 21, 2009.

1. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Went out to Ballwin Saturday to try my hand at some fishing and wow what a day!
    There weren't many boats out so I could go about anywhere I wanted, but I had heard a rumor about blues hitting so I started searching for The deep holes they hide in. Found myself a nice hole that was holding fish and started fishing. At first the wind was a bit strong and I couldn't get an anchor to hold, but eventually the wind layed and I was set. First bite was a hard hit but of course I was busy working on rigging a second rod so I missed him. The second hit I was ready and I reeled in a good eater size channel. For about 45 minutes this is how it went. Hit after hit on both rods, sometimes at the same time. Nothing big, just eaters. Then my luck ran out.
    Got a hit and set the hook. He wasn't much, just a little guy not more than 8 inches. Of course when I swung him into the boat he was flipping and flopping like crazy, then all of a sudden I felt the pain. For the life of me I could not figure out why if the hook was in my thumb the fish hadn't fallen away from my hand. When I finally got ahold of him with the other hand I saw what had happened. He had buried his side fin neatly into the side of my thumb. First reaction was to rip it out, which I of course did, and then I realized that wasn't the best idea because along with his fin came a nice chunk of meat out of my thumb. Into the water he went and out came my blood, on my jeans, my shirt, the boat carpet, tackle and even somehow the hood on the motor. It was at this moment that the full realization of how bad it hurt hit me. I began to dance around the boat letting fly a colorful assortment of words, none of which were nice, at one point I'm pretty sure I insulted the virtue of the fish's mother. After realizing I had nothing to stop the bleeding with I decided my trip was over. A long bumpy boat ride back to the ramp and more blood around the boat and some toilet paper I always carry in the truck finally stopped the bleeding. My thumb was nicely swollen and hurt like heck and there was a nice chunk of meat hanging out of it that the fish had pulled out with its barbs, but, unlike what I thought just moments before, I was still alive.
    So, to those who fish Ballwin, if you catch a small channel cat and it has what appears to be a chunk of human flesh hanging off of its fin don't be alarmed....that is simply my dignity.
    Chris

2. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Know where your coming from Chris. Years ago I was wade fishing the White and had caught one like your talking about. When I swung it up I missed it and some how hit myself in the knee with it. It was worse than any bee or hornet sting I have ever had. It made me sick and I had to sit on a boulder for about an hour before I could go on fishing. I have been VERY, VERY careful with those small channels ever since. Reps to you for a good but painful report. whiteriver

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Chris that is why i keep a small first aid kit in my boat . I would not try to dr. something major but for something like happened to you it would come in handy,might mean the difference in getting to fish or going home .

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    sorry bud, seems like the fish won that round.:eek:oooh:

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Chris

I know what you are talking about. I caught dinks for the last two days. So far I haven't been stuck bad this time. We are going to be here a week or so. I will be stuck before I leave. I have never made it a week before LOL. Had a nice channel chew on my thumb this morning, I will chew on him tonight.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris those are battle scars for the sport.:smile2:

7. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I know what ya mean!!

Several years ago my brother in law and father in law (neither fish much) decided they wanted to tag along and fish with me. Well, we were catching eater channels left and right. Brother in law caught a small channel and thought it would be funny to toss it to my father in law so that he could put it in the live well. Father in law reached out to catch it and that side fin buried in his index finger. He automatically shook his hand to get rid of it and the fin broke off in the middle joint. After a week and a half in the hospital and two surgeries, he was on the mend.

Those little suckers are dangerous for sure!! Be careful out there.

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    ouch!!!! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::crazy:

9. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As carzy as this sounds:eek:oooh:,if you take the fish,and rub it's belly on the injury,it will take allot of the pain out of the wound! As kids we would "hog" catfish out of the back waters after a flood. I got stuck real good between the thumb,and fore finger. My grandma said to take a fish (catfish) and rub it's belly over the wound. In a little while it quit hurting,and never did swell up. It seems that in that slimy coating they have on their skin there is a enzyme that helps them heal wounds from other fish. Now if the barb is broken off in ya,that's a diffrent story!:embarassed: Yeah the little ones will hurt ya way quicker, than a big one! Ron

10. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think we all have be been finned at one time or another - but maybe not that bad...I'll tell ya one that I saw my brother in law have happen to him...he caught a very nice channel cat - around 10 lbs - he was soooo happy - got him to the bank (small farm pond). He was taking him off the hook..I of course was extremely green with envy , and offering congrats on his nice catch...the cat swung around shoved his side fin right thru his hand right in the middle of his palm...that's right CLEAN thru....then to add insult to injury (now mind you he was about 5 foot from the bank) the cat bounced around while Jim was holding on to his hand to stop the bleeding , the fish gracefully flopped twice and was back in the water and GONE!!! He (and I) won't soon forget it - afterwards he was in the ER getting ten stitches....Damned the luck....:0a18:

11. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    one more thing - Ron was right...rub the fish against the finned area - the pain stops almost instantly!! Something about catfish secrete an "antidote" to the stuff that makes it sting. First time I heard of this was actually from my brother in law (the one that got it shoved thru his hand)...thought he was nuts until I got nailed from a small one two...IT DOES WORK!!!!

12. catfishken

catfishken Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    indeed this does work and the looks u get from whoever is with you while you do it well thats priceless

13. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    I was glad u live to tell about it I'm sure u will be more careful in the future. On the lighter side just remember your the one that started it :smile2: u stuck him first

14. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    dont worry i had to go to the ER once to have a cat fin removed from my hand...that was a site to see!

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hehe....Man up Chris...them cats gotta win one now and then, it's only fair, LOL

I got stuck pretty bad twice this year,,,and yea it does take some meat with it but there aint much you can do.

-Jim-

16. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i had a bullhead stick me earlier this summer. wasnt too bad at first. kinda itched alot really. well about 3 days later my finger started swelling. i did what many men without insurance do, i started digging aroung with a needle. sure enough, i had about an 1/8 inch sliver of fin stuck in there. swelling went down overnight, and helaed up fine within a few days.. boy did that hurt though:embarassed:

17. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    As we all know, if your gonna catfish, your gonna get stuck:sad2: I was wading with some buddies when I was a kid in a flood water hole. Fish were trapped in there and we were throwing them out as fast as we could. Well, I stepped on a small cat and ran the dorsel fin in the sole of my foot. Holy crap, I can feel it right now:crazy: