Got Steelhead?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by One Legged Josh, Nov 15, 2008.

1. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Do any of you guys spend you're winters knee deep chasing chrome bullets through our beautifull Ohio rivers? In the winter if I'm not hunting deer I'm chasing Steel. I love the way these fish fight!
    I went out today in the nasty rain/snow and only landed one little buck. Forgive the pic I was freezing and soaked!

Attached Files:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Never fished for steelhead.. I like to come up to the Maumee in the spring time for the walleye run each year. Might have to plan another trip and try to get a steelie! Congrats on the catch, and get warm bro!:smile2: rollo

3. One Legged Josh

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Rollo. Here is a few more pics from early this year.

Attached Files:

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Hey Josh. When do you want to take me along. It's something I want to try this year for the first time.

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I used to do some guiding up on the Ohio Rivers before it got so overran with folks. Now I just send my clients to a buddy of mine who lives up there, makes it easier. I still enjoy 1-2 trips a years up there ( 4 hrs) and get my fill for the whole year. Steelies are fun but get old, there isnt an easier fish to catch when they are around so that part gets old quickly. Sort of like getting 5-8 lb channels all day long on every cast, seconds after you cast.

If you guys are ever looking for tips, send me a PM.

Nice pics though!
    Salmonid

6. One Legged Josh

State:
    Ohio
    Jeff,
    The rivers around here are all shot after the rain we had yesterday. It should help bring a bunch into the rivers though. I'm no expert but I will gladly take ya along sometime! Remind me in a few weeks.

Salmonid,
    I must have more luck with catfish than I do with chrome, because I have never viewed these fish as "easy" targets. I feel if you hook and land 1 in a day you had a good trip. I have had some good days around here(Lorain County), with 10+ fish but I never travel out east too many people. Where did you fish mostly? Post some tips! I'm always ready for some new info.....olj

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Those are nice steelies Josh. We have some around but not that big. State stocks selected water with them and they are caught out before they have a chance to grow up.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Josh, its all timing.... Just remember that the fall is a numbers game in the PA streams since Pa stocks 90% Fall run strains of Steelhead and the Ohio strains are 90% Spring Run fish so if you like to stay in Ohio, wait until Mid to late April for the "numbers". When i say numbers, im talking 30-50 fish days per person without ever moving more then 50 feet. Been doing that for years now. Just have to know the cycles between high water and when it gets back to fishable water. Again, its all timing....also suggest you learn where sapwing areas are and concentrate on those area, I like to walk for 30-45 minutes before we ever string up the rods. Try to get away from the jokers near the bridges, Once you get away from the crowds, youll meet all the serious folks who are more willing to help show you a few tricks. Oh yeah, Im a fly guy and egg patterns are all we ever use. Always outfishes the spin and spawn sack crowd.

Salmonid

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It sounds like a lot of fun. I have never fished for them, but this post could spark an interest