Got some kahle hooks.... got a question

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by field989, Jun 5, 2007.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ok i was wondering what the advantages were of kahle hooks.... i got some finally to try out and i was curious about them....

i got 7/0 they are pretty big and seem like a good size hook and plenty of room for live bait!

i was just wondering about this hook..

Thanks

Jeff

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I love Kahles, you can hook them and if not paying attention. They can also hook themselves. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I agree with Matt(I can't play poker)teaysvalleyguy, Their a cross betweek a circle hook and a J hook. You can set the hook on the fish and try to rip it's head off or you can let it take the bait and set the hook on it's own. It's really the best of both worlds. IMO. They work great on R&R, Juglines, Setlines, or Trotlines. They're about the only hooks I use anymore. I hope they work for ya.

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I bought some last night also they were the Eagle Claw brand. Ive always used the j hook type and am actious to try these.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Kahles are about all I use for cats - with live 'gills for flatheads and with cutbaits fro blues and channels. The nice thing about them is that you can leave the rod in the holder (in gear) and the fish will hook themselves in the corner of the mouth like with a circle hook, OR you can set the hook yourself if you prefer. Just make sure you have a tight line to the fish before trying a hookset!

One thing - some forlks would disagree with me, but in my opinion those 7/0's are going to be big for anything but a real big live bait or cut chunk. I use mostly 3/0 to 5/0. The 4/0 and 5/0 work great with medium to large brim (like 4 to 7 inches) for livebaits.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I totally agree with Matt on this. I use 7/0-10/0 Kahles, depending on the size of the bait.I use them for the same reasons listed above. It's the best of both worlds.:lol::big_smile:

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yea after i seen these i was like woah ima have to get a smaller size.... o well... im still gonna use em tho... them flatties have HUGE mouths.... but i fear they are too big for channels tho

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Jeff I tried kahle hooks about 6-7 years ago and haven't used J hooks since.I stopped buying any hook smaller than 4/0 for catfishing because once in a while I would have a big cat bend 2/0 hooks and get off.I have cought 1/2 channels on the 4/0 hooks so they are not to big.I use 4/0,6/0,7/0 and 10/0 kahle hooks.

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: With jim on this one, and beside, I would not want to catch anything on nothing smaller than a 4/0 kahle anyway for Channel Cats.

Anything smaller is food or Bait. :wink:
    :0a23:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

10. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    I have been using whisker sticker 2/0 kahle for around 2 years for me and they have worked fine so far.:smile2:

11. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have even started using really small ones for bream. And wouldnt you know it, they work great!

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jeff, channel cats are a lot like me at times. They also have a big mouth. And like them, once you have opened it your in trouble. LOL. I primarily used 6/0 kahles for quite a while, but the last batch I purchased rusted out in about 5 days use. I think I am through with them unless I can find a type that don't rust so darn fast. But, as to what I was going to say, with these 6/0's I have caught plenty of 1/2 lb channels so they are not too big.

13. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The 7/0 kahle hook is the smallest size I use. They work fine for most catfish from 1/2lb channels to flatheads over 50lbs, as long as you aren't using too big of a bait. For big baits I go with the 10/0 kahles. One thing I've noticed since I started using the 7/0 size about two years ago is, I haven't gut hooked any catfish. Most are hooked in the corner of the mouth, the others are in either the top or bottom lip.