got skunked today and rained out

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by runabout199, Jul 31, 2008.

1. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    went to alatoona dam today lakeside and got skunked. didnt get one bit x cept off of the brim i was catching for bait. i think maybe im goin about tryin to find the big cats wrong. im fishing whole live brim on bottom of lake right by the dam. im using a 10/0 circle hook with 3 oz sinker. the brim are from 3-6'' i dont know. i need to get my fish finder workin then maybe i could see them down there lol. ant way just thought id let everyone know.:sad2:

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Keep at them. :wink: Before you know it you'll have more than you can handle. :smile2:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a Hilljack day on the water.

4. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sounds like you found my secret spot....Shhhhh, don't tell anyone!

5. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Try shad, cut and live. Usually gets better results for cats on Allatoona.​

6. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Sorry to say that I have been having the same kind of luck this year. I seriously think that last year when the lake was down to record levels that it did some real damage. I have tried the same method of bream on the bottom and I also figured that the deep water at the dam would be the spot but I haven't found them either. I get occasional "eaters" but just nothing to CPR. Your depth finder is only good for just that. Finding the depth. especially at the dam any big fish you might see are just as likely to be stripers.
    Just an FYI. The new lake record flattie was caught way up towards the Ettawa end of the lake, the shallower end.

7. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    It may be too deep at the bottom by the dam this time of the year (well below the thermocline with not enough oxygen). Are you graphing fish on the bottom and is your bait staying alive? If not, I would try shallower water. Find the shad and you should find some Catfish. We have been catching them on West Point suspended at around 20 feet over 40 feet of water feeding on shad.

8. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    i always use dead bait. Do cats go after live bait more? I fish lanier were there are more channels and blues. Not mant flatheads. What hooks are you using with live bait?

9. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    We have been catching mostly Channel Catfish on live Threadfin Shad while we are fishing for Stripers and Hybrids down near the dam. Yes, they do like live Shad. When I fish for Flathead Catfish upriver I usually use circle hooks.

10. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Reading alot of the how to posts and listening to allot of these BOC members with experience....... Flatties will target live bait where as channels go for mostly dead bait..... from what I understand. As far as the depth goes I would try late in the evening near sandbars and edges where they come up to feed looking for bait fish.

AJ

11. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    i fish on lanier and they say theres not many or any flatheads in there. i guess ill just stick to dead herring and livers. i catch most of my fish on livers. it surprises me that people dont use them. They say a big fish wont go for livers but we catch alot of 4/5 pounders on them.

12. Altamaha Terri

Altamaha Terri New Member

State:
    Jesup, Ga
    Thats good to know about the livers Rooster. We haven't tried them yet. We usually use Brim or gold fish. I will have to try that sometime and see if I have better luck.

13. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    where can i catch some shad at in ga and how do you locate them?:angry: i cant seem to find them lol:smile2:

14. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I've been catching mine around marina dock lights before daylight.