Got skunked on Jordan Lake today

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by crusinman2002, Apr 1, 2007.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    well... i was on jordan lake most the day... got on the water at 11 am, left at 3 pm, back on the water at 8 pm and left again at 3 am... only got a couple of nibbles on the crappie rig, and only 1 bite on the catfish rigs... i was seeing all kinds of fish on the fish finder, but they were all suspended at thermocline and weren't biting anything... just about everyone that i talked to had gotten skunked too... did anyone else fish jordan today and what were your results?... i got a bunch that i got to do sunday, so i don't think i'm goin to make it out at all... at least not till next weekend and i'll be hitting jordan lake again.

2. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Yeah Kennith, I took my boy out yesterday morning. We put in at Robeson Creek a little before 7am. I had no luck trying to find bait so we proceeded with "Plan B"; nightcrawlers and chicken livers. We only caught four small Channels by 11, then headed back to the ramp (my son hates his PFD and becomes a bit irritable the longer he wears it:wink: ). My son had the honor of catching the first fish on a rod and reel on the new boat. It was good to see fish in the boat, even if we did have to throw them back.

Were you marking fish at 20'? Someone suggested to me that those might be stripers. I don't think that Jordan's warm enough to have a thermocline yet.

Jon

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i agree with jon on the thermocline and water temps. i also marked fish suspended at tillery a week or so ago that i couldnt get to bite. i think i made a note about it in my night time report a week ago. since then i have caught a few stripers in that area and still marking a fair amount of fish in that area. water temps here have dropped a degree of two in the last week. bait seems to be in 5 ft or less water along the banks at tillery but still scattered. if your marking fish suspened in 20 then i would move to shallower water and try it. also if you can drift jordan that might be a good option for you on the channels. just throwing a ideal at you. thanks for the report.

4. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    for the thermocline, my fishfinder was showing it... i don't know... maybe its just an estimated guess on where it should be... after all, it is just sonar... lol... but yeah... everything i saw was suspeneded at 18 to 20 feet, and there were some good sized fish being picked up on the screen... maybe it was just the weather between thursday till now... hopefully the bite will be back on this coming weekend... planning on being on jordan most the weekend again

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin

thanks for the idea... can drift jordan no problem... seems to always have a breeze up there, specially during the day.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i believe i would try it then. you could cover more water and help locate the fish better than anchoring and the channels will always chase the bait some no matter the water temps. last spring i was really doing good with the channels at badin drifting. catch 20-25 a day and they was laying around the drops on mid lake humps. sometimes i couldnt keep 6 rods in the water. i could catch 3-4 at a time. lot of fun.

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    The thermocline normally doesn't get set up until around Late June when the water gets into the 80's. Let us know what you are seeing on your depthfinder that makes you think it's the thermocline. When it's hot out in the summer, you can turn the sensitivity all the way up and see a line of little dots, usually around 20-30 foot deep and that will be the thermocline. you may have been marking bait around that depth and the fish were in with 'em. The bait should be shallow right now, so that really doesn't make sense to me to see suspended bait out in the open right now, but I've never fished Jordan. What was the water temp. on Jordan?

8. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    Here are a few areas that will (or at least should) produce.

http://www.greggofish.com/Jordantips.html

Both are around the Ebenezer boat ramp. The Crappie spot is actually in Beaver Creek which is right under the bridge at the ramp.

The road bed will produce 12 months a year.

Jordan is very tough for catfish this time of year. As April progresses, the best luck for numbers in up at the mouth of the Haw River.

It is not a good drifting lake. The Channels don't hang out that deep and White cats will eat anything your dragging. I suppose if you drifted 15 feet or less you may have some luck.

If your ever out when we are, I will mark up a map with some other great spots for you that will take you a long time to fish.

Good luck...... :big_smile:

9. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    Rookie12:
    i don't know... it might have been bait fish... it was right at 17 to 20 feet deep... it was just a straight line of dots... the surface temp according to the fish finder was right at 63 everywhere i went on the lake.

greggofish:
    the area u r talkin bout just south of the ramp is where i fish once in a while... noone was really catching anything there this sat. but there were many showing up on the fish finder... when is the next time u will be up there?... i'm tryin to make it up there friday night for some night fishing... if i don't have my truck running by then i'll have to see if i can borrow my friend's truck and i don't see him having a problem with it... i'll prolly try to make it up there sat. and sun. too... but its all pending on the truck situation.