Got skunked last night / this morning at Jordan Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by crusinman2002, Jul 15, 2006.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey yall... just wanted to say, i got skunked... got to jordan lake last night at about 11 or 11:30, stayed till 7 this morning... met a fellow brother there, but i don't remember his name on here... lol... it wasn't the best night at all, but i did have fun... i put both my traps in the water, hoping to get some bullheads for flathead bait for tonight at the cape fear, but no luck on that... didn't get a single fish in the traps... i was using sardeins, i had seen it somewhere that they work, but i had forgotten to bring some dog food for just in case... had plenty of bites, and a couple of really nice ones... then, after the sun came up, i was casting one of my rods, and the line snaped half way through the cast, the pole was just about pointing straight up... needless to say, i ended up with a pole in the water, i still don't know how it got there, but it did... i grabbed my other pole which had just gotten a nice bite and tryed to wrap the line around the pole that was sinking with a quickness... almost got it, and then i couldn't see the pole anymore... i had 2 options... try to get it back, or leave it... i chose to try to get it back, so i throw on a treble hook and 4 oz of lead... after a couple of tries, and not getting it, i decided that maybe more hooks would grab it... well... after puttin on 4 more treble hooks, i ended up grabbing a couple of lost lines, snagged a pair of pliers, yes, regular pliers... then i got ahold of something... didn't know what i had, but i was snagged... i ended up breaking the line, and trying the same setup... snagged, about 2 feet from the first one... so i try it again... this is my last 5 treble hooks... lol... i get it about 2 feet the other way... dang, i'm snagged again... what do i keep grabbing, is what i was thinking... then, after holding the pole there doubled over, and jerking it a couple of times, the pole slowly starts to straighten out... i'm thinking... great... now i'm going to pull a tree out of the water... lol... low and behold, its my other pole... now i'm thinking, ok... why does it seem so heavy... well... i get it out of the water, and all of my treble hooks are attached to the pole, all the ones that i lost... lol... lost the weights though... then i grab the pole and lift it up... it was heavy... the bottom half of the pole is hollow, and was full of water... once i got my pole out of the water, all the asain people that were watching me, started cheering... lol... it was pretty funny... i started looking at it all and tried to figure out what broke on the line... it broke clean at the swivel... a knot failed, and i spent an hour fishing for a pole... lol... weird things can happen... the boc brother i met there, had also lost a pole, and after getting mine, i tried to get his cause he had told me where it was... i spent half an hour trying to find it and get it for him, but couldn't find it... will try next time i go up there... going to get a grapple hook, and toss that out there... see what all i can pull up... i'm sure there are plenty of poles in the water there... well... anyways... i'm going to wrap this up... just wanted to share the funny story... i'm still laughing bout it... lol.

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I spent the night at home last night and havent been able to get out fishing for over a week. Sorry to here about your bad luck on catching fish but enjoyed your article on your pole. Can't understand how it was heavy enough to be brakeing off your lines.

3. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    We decided to head to Farrington area yesterday at the last minute and fished til arould 12:30AM.

Live shad and caught a few channels. Got into a lot of white bass before dark. As we were leaving I looked down at Belles Landing and it looked like a party. I use glow sticks too but the small ones. Better be careful....an airplane might try to land there as bright as those things are....:lol:

Fish were not biting for some reason last night.....

4. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    a party?... lol... it could have been... did you see tiki torches and big 4" green glowsticks???... that was me... lol... good to hear you had some luck.

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    larry, sorry to hear that you haven't been able to fish... i still don't know how it was heavy enough either... unless if it was stuck on something... it felt heavy in my hands right after i got it up, but not heavy enough to double over my berkley big game rod and snap 20# test cajun line... so i don't know, just glad i got it back.

6. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    I go thur that way a lot going from home to Chapel Hill. In the spring I've seen so many laterns hanging off the Pier it looked like a plane or something had landed there. Stopped there one Friday night about June of this year. Saw some crappie caught just as big as any I have even see caught in Jordan. The place was shoulder to shoulder, looked like the piers down at the beach when the spots are running !

7. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    Hey crusinman2002, the brother you met was me. I didnt do all that great last night but it was enough for a meal for the 3 friends I was fishing with. 1 decent sized white cat and about 5 crappie.

I dont know what was up with my luck yesterday, it seems like it rubbed off on you. I ended up dropping my Best rod/reel combo in the water and I must have fished for it a solid hour. In the process of fishing for it I got snagged and broke the top section of my other rod. So that was the last straw and I decided to just call it quits since I was scaring all the fish away.

I would have liked to have chatted with you some more but I wasnt in the happiest of mood and I had to "chaperone" my friend and his gf... lol.

I would take you up on your offer to fish at cape fear but I gotta go scrounge up some money for some rod/reels.

8. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Enjoyed the stories. Sometimes luck just goes some other way.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Ken I will be out there mon and tues for sure And maybe sun night. I have yet to be skunked out there since you told me about that place so if your game come on out and we'll catch some fish. I have been using shad and large minnows cut and cured livers along with some homemade concoctions.

10. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    well... i was just skunked at the cape fear, couldn't even catch some bait for flatheads... lol... eatin lunch, and bout to go back up to jordan... i can't go mon. or tue. nights cause i'll be working... and the fiance wants to spend some time with me sun. night... so i can't go that night either... lol... but yeah... i'm going to get going... got to start headin towards jordan... hopefully today i can just get my lines in the water, and keep the rods dry... lol

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

ok skunked at the river not at the lake . One day we will have to hook up and go fishing though, see you on the water.

12. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    One time while Fishing at Gaston we were getting set up to drift a flat I stopped the motor and turned the boat into position to begin our drift...

My partner put his $300 bait casting combo into my $20.. driftmaster rod holder and kerplunk into the cold 40' water!!!! The driftmaster must have some how loosened up. The bait casting combo and my driftmaster rod holder were GONE!!! I felt really bad. Since then I have permantely attached them so they wont loosen up...Glad to see you got yours back HE DIDN'T!!!!!

13. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    WHOA, mine was only 90 bucks. but still it hurts.:sad2:

14. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    To make it worse it was his favorite and he had only had it about 2 months...OUCH!!!!

15. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I just got back from bells and caught 6 all under 5 lbs. I was there for about 2 and a half hours. Try the spot I showed you Sunday morning thats where I keep catching my fish

16. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    thats what i'm planning next time i get out... going to the beach from this friday till next friday... will prolly be up there sat. night... i'll definatly try that spot... that one guy that was there when you stopped by started getting some really nice fish on the line, but wasn't able to get them out of the cover, his lil bass rods weren't doing the trick... he left a while after you did, got tired of losing so much tackle, so i set up over there and had some really nice bites... i've got to start getting more shad throughout the night, i normally only grab a couple so that they don't die on me... thanks for showing me that spot though... i was starting to think that i had too much luck up there and it all went away... lol... one of those kids that was there got a really nice channel, about 3 pounds, under the tree under the street light... the channel took some cut minnow and ran with it, the kid had a really small hook on cause he was going after bluegill, it was fun to watch him pull it in though.