Got Rained out

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Kojak, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, Ol Dillon and I decided to try out the Old West Frankfort lake because some of the people who fish it said they had been having decent luck on it, so....what the heck. We set sail at about 6am and I had 2 in the boat right off the bat. Then all at once you hear a distant thunder.....I figure who cares we might get a little wet but oh well. At about that time Dillon's drag starts screaming, he starts to reel in whatever was on the other end with very little luck, it just keeps running. Finally after about 5 minutes his line snaps, poor kid. So needless to say we will be trying the old lake again, most likely when weather forecast is a little better.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like the big one got away on this day, better luck in the future, remember to keep us posted

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You may want to increase the pound test of line you are useing. The old west frankfort lake has some nice fish in it. That is just fishing. Better luck next trip.

4. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I knew there were big ones in there, just didn't know how big, until now. I personally use 30-50# braid but Dillon was only using 12#. To be honest I have lived here for many years and rarely fished the old lake, always the new lake. If you know of any good spots on that lake Mikey let me know.

5. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    depending on the size of reel i recomend useing spiderwire i have had that on so many poles you can not break it you can streighten hooks but not break the line hope this helps:tounge_out::smile2::cool2::tounge_out:

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    yep thats some good stuff, kinda pricey for me though.