Got one more guestion about different cut baits.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Montgomery, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    ok now the weather is getting better . and i'm ready to start looking for bait other then shrimp. like minnoes and chubs and gills mainly. have a casting net for shad. but i dont have a bait tank at home yet. or a good one to take with me fishing . plus carrying a 5 gallon bucket of water plus gear. can really suck bad. my guestion is this could i catch any bait i may be catching . gills or shad or both or creek chubs. couls i just put the fish in zipp lock baggies live. and have a cooler with a frozen ice pack on bottom then layer of fish. then ice fish ect. the fish will diebut keep cool. i thought of useing zipplock bages so the fish didn't get wet in the melting fice. and turn to mushy. and advice. cause cant keep bait alive right now . but really want to use cut bait when i go . please help fishing tomarrow

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    just put a little ice in that cooler and throw your bait on top.if you leav the drain plug off it want sit in the water.

3. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    do you all think i even need ice in a cooler. when high temps are only 58 degrees. so even bait put in empty buck until they died . would only reach 58 degress right . should still be fresh wouldnt it .

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Mike, you can do that with cut bait but what I prefer if possible is to use the freshest bait available.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If nothing else is available, frozen shad/bluegill will work in a pinch. Somehow they just don't seem to be as attractive to the fish though. BUT, you are still fishing, even if you don't catch fish. Shucks, I've been fishing with the right baits and still have not caught 1 catfish this year. Been picking up small crappie on cut bait, or fishing four to six hours and not even getting one bite. But, I am fishing. LOL

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    If I catch shad to use the next day, I bag them and put them on ice. If I catch them to use right away, I just put them in a bucket of water.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you put your shad in a bag and put the bag on ice, the shad will stay fresher longer. They should still bleed when you cut them up if you handle them that way.

Put them directly on ice (or otherwise in contact with water) and they seem to lose that freshness a lot faster.

You can keep them in a bag on ice for a couple of days and they'll still be usable.

But there's no doubt in my mind that cutting up a live-and-wiggling shad will out-fish a dead shad every day of the week. So if you can eventually get to a point where you can keep shad in a baitwell, so much the better.