Got OCF?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by fishinpals, Jun 3, 2006.

1. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Got OCF?

You may have this and not realize it. It affects many of us.

No one knows the exact moment O.C.F. enters the brain, but many theorize. Some believe it*s that first time a child sticks a hook through a worm. Others, the first moment a bobber goes down. And still others argue that it*s the first cast off a dock. In reality, there are most likely thousands of ways Obsessive Compulsive Fishing enters the brain. But it*s learning to manage the obsession that is so crucial.

How Do I Know I Have O.F.C.?
    That is a very important question. The first step to managing your obsession is admitting to yourself that it exists.

Please read these five simple questions and answer them honestly.
    1. When eating finger foods, do you ever smell fish on your hands?
    2. Has your loved one ever been upset with you for coming home late because you were *stuck* on the water?
    3. Do you own a higher number of fishing rods than you do shoes?
    4. Do you secretly feel upset when someone in the boat catches more fish than you?
    5. When preparing to call it a day, do you ever make five or more *last casts*?

If you answered *yes* to two or more of these questions, you are a member of one of the fastest growing conditions in America.

4 Steps In Maintaining O.C.F.
    1. FIND A SUPPORT SYSTEM. It*s vital to form meaningful relationships with others like yourself. Sitting in a boat or along a bank with other O.C.F.-ers is a good place to start. Long visits to bait & tackle shops also make for good bonding experiences. Visiting BOC often is vital
    2. SET LIMITS. It*s not difficult for an angler with O.C.F. to lose all comprehension of time on the water. That*s why it*s important to set limits. What is a reasonable amount of time for me to fish today? Are there errands, tasks, and appointments I can*t miss because of my fishing? How many hours a week is a fair amount? Set limits, even if you might not stick to them.
    3. CARE FOR THOSE CLOSE TO YOU. Loved ones might not understand your behavior, but it*s important to offer some love and sensitivity. Showing up occasionally for music recitals, plays, birthdays, and dinners is a good place to start. Just keep them happy. They*ll be more accepting of your time on the water.
    4. FIND SOLITUDE. To stay in touch with your O.C.F., it*s crucial to get away to a place of solitude and fish-filled lakes.

** Obsessive Compulsive Fishing (O.C.F.) is a condition that affects millions of people each year.:big_smile::tounge_out:

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    And there is not a cure (thank goodness)

3. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    My God I have OCF!!! Its Infectious too because Ihave infected my wife. I didn't know I was a carrier.Thanks Jim I thought I was just weird. LOL

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I think I suffer from this disorder.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    LOL I think everyone here has OCF lol good one.

6. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    and now for my master plan ....TO INFECT THE ENTIRE WORLD....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Yanno this mudball we call earth would be a lot better if you can infect the entire world with OFC LOL. Better call pinky and the brain out to help :big_smile:

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You mean O.C.F.D.

I must have it. I also have that tackle buying disease C.T.B. D

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thank you for the diaignois. I have been pleasured with this disorder for many years. I thought I was alone in my affliction. There is no cure that i know of . We can only treat the symtoms. Regularly visiting your boat , standing in front of a well stocked rod rack seems to help . Sometimes just opening a tacklebox and take in the sights and aromas of bygone baits.this helps to dispell the urge to leave everything else as it is and go for a treatment on the water. I have even resorted to casting sinkers, pretieing rigs, painting floats and repairing broken rods and reels, in a effort to shake this monkey off my back. It is such a comfort to know that I am not alone. Even tough most people think I am crazy, I can now tell them what my problem truly is. OCF
    :still_dreaming: :0a23: :0a18: :006: :0a26: :0a27: :0a31: :0a24: Does anyone else see themselfs in smilies?

10. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Now it's got a name I can tell others my problem. I think I will post a warning on my boat that its very contagous.:smile2:

11. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Been affected by it for 54 years. starting fishing when I was 6 at Tator Creek. That's where I contacted OFC and the good news is that I haven't found a cure. No job or other activity has been able to rid me of this thing. Sorry to say all my kids have it and my wife does too. She may have a more serious case than mine. She pften wants to stay 30 minutes longer fishing than I do. I may make more last casts than her but she can wait them out. I may have passed this along to one of my granddaughters. She went fishing with us yesterday and didn't want to leave. I think I have contacted that tackle disease also. Just bought a new combo yesterday. We own over 40 rod and reels. Most are loaners for kids but many of them are ours. I Guess these things are just something we learn to live with and make the best of it. I know I am.:big_smile:

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Hi, my name is Scott and I have OCF.

this is one condition im proud to admit i have.

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    And here I was calling myself a Fishaholic.

14. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hello, My name is Jerry. I have O.C.F.

15. finallyright2003

finallyright2003 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is perfect, now when my wife complains I can tell her it is an incurable disease. THANKS!:big_smile:

16. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    LoL I have the exact same problem I definetly got OCF lol and boy am i glad i have it cuz life without fishin is just missin. LOL well i got it

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

at least now I have a reason for losing all track of of time when I am fishing its like nothing else exists beyond the end of my rods and my buddy that I fish with. luckily my wife understands the symptoms and does alot of looking the other way when it comes to my addiction for fishing.

18. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Its hard to say what exact moment caused me to have OCF but I know it started when I was about 5 years old. I probably got it from my grandpa who also had OCF for many years. It is 1 condition that I am proud to have!