Got new rod!! Which reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by crazfish, Mar 22, 2007.

1. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    JUST WANT TO SAY, I HAVE BEEN READING AND RESEARCHING AND JUST BOUGHT MYSELF A " TIGER" UGLY STICK AND WANT TO ASK ANYONE WITH THERE OPINIONS. I HAVE A COUPLE PENN REELS. A PENN 60 AND A PENN 65. WOULD ANY OF THESE BE ALRIGHT OR SHOULD I GO HEAVY DUTY SPIN REEL?

2. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Penn makes excellent reels but I prefer the 310's or the 320's. Shimano Tekotas and Quantum cabo's are both nice reels but they are kind of pricey.

3. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Is your rod spinning or casting ? I am not to familiar with heavy duty spinning reels. A lot of the brothers that are recommend the bait runners by shimano. and seem to love them . Now as for casting reels or trolling reels , now dont let the phrase trolling scare you if you are used to bait casters trolling reels should not be hard to manage. this could be like chevy versus ford or dodge. Abu garcia makes good reels and so does penn i think you would be hard pressed to beat either at a given task but if you need out right power and durability penn reel have stood the test of time as have the abus but when you start looking at cold hard facts penn has the records to prove they are wold class reels.Both can be had for pennys on the dollar on ebay if money is an issue or they are reasonble enough brand new , you can obtain a penn you could pass down, for example a penn 209 for around 60.00 new and they are bullet proof.But you could always do a search in the archives and see what others have to say about their own choices before buying . hope i was some help.

4. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    If your teageting bigger flatties and blues, I would go heavy duty. You need a reel with strength and reliability. Buying a cheap reel will only hurt your confidence and you wont be happy with its performance. Use a reel that you feel comfortable with. Having faith and knowing how your tackle works is half the battle. Hope this helps,

Dru

5. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I think a good penn reel would be a 320 gt2 bought brand new for a little over 90.00, the abu garcia 7000c3 is a little higher and also a great reel. You might be good getting a abu garcia 6500 c3 which are also great reels, however I'd check ebay first and see what they have, you can pick any of these reels up on ebay for probably a good 20.00 savings in excellent to new condition.

6. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    ok, so, some of you are saying to go a different penn number size. i am pretty familiar with the penns baitcast and all. what is the difference with the penn reels i have compared to the ones mentioned? is it the gear ratio? some of them are not much different. i used to catch 40 lb sturgeons with these reels. i am from calif. and moved out here 3 years ago and still researching the big cats out here.

7. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Your old Penn 60 and 65 will make good catfish reels.Newer reels will cast a little better,have levelwind but with the slower retrieve the old Penn's may be better at bringing in a big one than some of the newer ones.
    Jake

8. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    THANKS JAKE, FOR A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT THE REELS THE OTHERS ARE TALKING BOUT CUZ I WASN'T SURE WHAT THE GEAR RATIOS WERE AND ALL THAT. THANKS AGAIN.

9. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Here is a link to the spec. page for your Penn 60.You can go from it to find the specs. if any Penn reel.I don't know how others figure the strength of a reel but I use the manufacturers recommendation for the highest test line they recommend for the reel.
    Jake

10. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
  11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First! Is it a conventional or a spinning rod?I am assuming a conventional because of the reel types.I have personally used up to 80 lb.Mono. on Long Beach and Super long Beach reels.Penn made your reel to wench in huge fish from reef and wreck.I do not know which "Tiger ugly stick"you have purchased but after looking up the ratings on these rods,I believe the reels will handle any line that the rod will.With a 2.5:1 ratio it will be slow,but something is going to give.Caution!These reels,heavy line and the drag can and will take more than many people can handle on a long fight.Tyeing them off with a short rope was fairly popular with saltwater fishermen.I have seen more than one swapped back and forth between young healthy males before a fish was finely landed.If you have a couple,all you need is one more rod for two "Big fish outfits".Reeling in will be slow due to the gear ratio.It should make a great outfit for reeling in Huge Fish,Jet Skies and Bass Boats if you can get one on.I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A Abu 6000 or 6500C3.