Got my PB yesterday.... kinda:-)

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by g3l33m, Sep 7, 2009.

1. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

Pec, Illinois
    Got skunked in the main part of the Pec river at Trask Bridge yesterday morning so I figured I'd go into the back water and see what's what. Had a chunk of sucker on a pre snelled 6/0 hook. (Forgot which brand but it had a yellow backing on it. Picked up 10 3 packs on ebay for under a buck. :) )

Anywho, first cast out and I'm about to set my pole down when I notice the line is coming back in. I reel up the slack and set the hook. Ooh, this thing is a monster. Get it half way back in and then NOTHING. It got off my hook. Just wishing I would have seen it at that point. Re bait and toss it out again roughly in the same area. In under a minute the line starts coming back at me again and I set it again. And lose it halfway back again.:angry: Now I'm looking at these hooks like they are defective or something even though by looking at them they are right. So then I snell a Team Catfish Jackhammer and rebait it again. Also switched over to my Team Catfish 3/4 Ton/Abu combo with 40# on it cuz my plan was to set it HARD if it happened again.

So, I cast out again in roughly the same area... And it starts coming back on me again. So I set it hard enough to bring a smaller fish straight up out of the water at me. The hook finds something and I start reeling it in. When I first saw it I was thinking wow, is that a huge cat with mud and sticks all over it's face? Then I realized it was a 20-25# snapping turtle with a Jackhammer sticking out of it's mouth.

I would still like to think that the first two times were HUGE cats but since I never actually saw them I now think that turtle thought it was free feeding time and kept cleaning me out.:angry:

The turtle was down a 6' bank so at first I just tried to jerk him off the line. When that didn't work I had to climb down the bank and just before I got to him my leader broke. (It was 14#)

Sure wish he had been a fish...

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

S.E Ohio
    Sounded like a turtle when you first started tossing in the same area an line goes back toward you. Sometimes they sure can be a nuiance that is for sure. Good luck fishing next trip out.

3. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

Yep they can be a pain but they are good eatin.