Got my new Quantum Iron IR330 today!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by TNVOLCAT, Aug 11, 2006.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I learned about these reels while fishing with a guide a couple years ago. They are getting hard to come buy. Every now and then, there will be one on E-bay. I just happened to win one of these off E-bay and got it in the mail this morning. I got it for $51+shipping. It's a new, old stock Quantum Iron IR330. I already have a IR320 that I got for Christmas last year. They are the same reel other than the IR330 having a larger spool capacity. The IR330 holds 400/20, while the IR320 holds 300/20. These reels were discontinued by Quantum a few years ago and replaced with the new Cabo line of reels. I like them because I believe that the drag system is comparable to Penn reels and cast as good or better than Abu Garcia reels. I have an Abu 6500 c3 and a Penn 320 GT2 also, so I'll be comparing them with some tests in the near future. Btw, the Irons are mounted to MH Quantum Big Cats.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Love my Irons! Have 6 of them, and now 5 Big Cat rods.

3. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also love the irons. I never can seem to find them on ebay the only ones I ever see are nonlevelwind. I like the levelwind :angry: . I also have a cabo and really like it. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to manualy ingage it. You can't just turn the handle.

4. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I had one and sold it ,I've regretted it ever since .

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

congrats on the new equipment. I have heard good things about Quantum equipment but5 I am stuck on diawa and abu for now.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on the new reel bro, hope you get a monster or 10 with it.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have heard some good things about those reels, let me know how it compares to your penn's and abu's.

8. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here's a picture of it. I can't wait to use it!

Attached Files:

9. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    Those are wonderful reels. I had a 330 (dumped it in the lake :angry: ) and still have a 325. I prefer it over any reel I own, including the Abu 10000. The drag is much, MUCH, smoother.

10. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Thanks for the info!

11. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree it is a great reel wish they wouldn't of quit making them. I can never find the 325 on ebay or anywhere.

12. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I've got a couple of guide friends that used the Irons and had really good luck with them. I hope you are equally as happy with yours. I just can't get passed my Penn's.
    Don

13. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    and who says zebco are junk. i always wanted one. cood job.