Got my livewell

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Deerslayer29, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got a 28 cu ft deep freezer today from a friend for free because he said he didnt know if it worked. Well it does!!!! Does anyone else use a deep freeze for a live well. I guess my ??? is this deep freezer has a low setting on it and I was wondering if it will still freeze the water on the low setting. What do you guys do??? Also I have a pump in it that circulates 300 gallons per hour. Im pumped to get some bait and put them in. I wonder how long they will stay alive? I'm going to get some gills and some suckers.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I wouldnt think it would freeze as long as the pump is running.

3. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yea. I thought about just running it 2-3 hours a day. IDK

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I guess my main concern would be haveing a freezer plugged in with that much water in it....Could be fine, just never heard of any results...:eek:oooh:....lol.....But if it works you cant beat that for keeping the water cool.:wink:

5. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'll let ya all know how it works. Its been on low for about 3 hours and water is cool and everything seems to be working fine. The actual freezer is enclosed and sealed so water cant get in or out and the cooler unit is underneath in a spot where water cant get to it so it should work good.

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    If you do have problems with it freezing just take the lid off of it. I have seen this done before and they make great bait tanks.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Wouldnt taking fish from the cold water and putting them in water that is 30 to 40 degrees warmer hurt them?

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Keep us post on the progress I am curious as to how this will work out.

9. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The suckers I plan on cutting them and the gills are a pretty hardy fish. Fresh cut is all I'm going for. I need to get a temp gauge to monitor the water temp.

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    yes it will it will kill them quick puts them in shock if he dips the water out for the bait and it warms gradually should be ok but you cant take them out of cold water and put them warm they will die

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i don't think that i would even turn it on.if you have the pump running,the running water should keep cool enough to keep them alive,specially if it is getting oxygen in the water.

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Not a bad Idea if it was in a garage that gets as hot as mine during the day. If it seems to keep the water too cold buy a timer and run it about an hour at a time..

13. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Now thats an idea!!!! I have one in the garage. I'm on my way out now.

14. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Theres a couple things you can do. Like the guy suggested put it on a timer & play with it until you get it wright. You can also use a thermostat to turn the freezer on and off at a given temp. You can also play with the amount the lid is open but dont shut it completely or you will loose all your oxygen.

15. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive been using a deep freeze setup for years now....

I turn the freezer on its lowest setting and have it plugged into a timer.
    I set the timer to run for 15 mins. every hour during the day and every 2-3 hours at night when its cooler...
    I can keep a couple hundred bait alive in about 50-60* water ( depending on outside temp) for about 2-3- weeks before a water change is necessary.....The main thing is to treat your water with some conditioner, that many fish put out some serious waste. I use one of those swimming pool sifter nets to clean the waste out...Works pretty good.

I also filter the water twice..1 time is at the pump, the 2nd time is when it discharges out my pipe i have a basket of polyfil the water goes through first to clean it again.....

16. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks alot for the info. I have it set on a timer now and I'm only going to be keeping a max of 50 fish in it. How many Cu ft is your freezer?

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    You may have some problem if it's airtight. Ammonia escapes as a gas, and in a sealed container it will eventually build up to the point that your fish die off. Think about adding some ventilation.