Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Channel get me pretty good tonight. I was taking the hook out of a 4 lber and he twisted and caught me with his barb on my right hand index finger first joint pretty good. Any suggestions for taking care of it. I have to go to work tomorrow and I use my hands. I was told to soak in epson salt and then iodine. Would this treatment be ok? Not too much swelling so far, but a little stiff.
I hope I don't loose my finger:embarassed:

·
Registered
994 Posts
If you can find some Iodex salve it will take the soreness out as well as anything I've ever used. We always carried a jar in the boat with us when we were commercial fishing. Put a glob of the salve on the wound and bandage it up and it will be healed in no time. BTW,this salve is black in color.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose the swelling is pretty normal for a poke. I just hope part of the barb is not stuck in my finger. Thanks for the info guys. It must be the bull heads that have the poison in them?

·
Registered
458 Posts
ive been poked many times.ive always heard to rub the poked area on the belly of the catfish.i dont think it works but thats what the old timers say to do

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Thats just a big part of catfishing.Get used to it .Happen all the time to me (when I catch any that is:roll_eyes:).Like stated smaller they are, more it seems to hurt. At least you started off right. Nice fish.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
ive been poked many times.ive always heard to rub the poked area on the belly of the catfish.i dont think it works but thats what the old timers say to do
I guess I am one of those "old-timers" now. :big_smile: The slime of the catfish is the best thing going; work a little into the wound as soon as possible, then when you get home, clean with peroxide or similar disinfectant. I've been stuck quite a few times, been using the slime since I was maybe 10 or 12 and it absolutely works.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.