Got my first March flathead catfish!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Apr 1, 2007.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well, OK, so maybe there were only a few hours left to March, and maybe it's South Carolina and the river water was reading 67 degrees at dusk, but they are still the first flatheads I've caught in March.

I hit the Edisto on Saturday around 1 PM. It was pretty slow going catching baits. I meant to bring some worms or shrimp and forgot, so I was limited to my spinner. I managed to get about 12 baits (mostly redbreast sunfish with a couple of big bluegills and a couple of nice little spotted sunnies), most came at the mouth of a little slough on the early flood tide.

Anyway, I started fishing for flatheads at dusk in a spot that has produced before. There's a couple of snags there that have cost me fish in the past, but what the heck. Gotta get hooked up first, then deal with landing the fish... Saw the first bat at 8:05, flying up and down the tree line. Back and forth, back and forth. The outside rod went down at 8:15. Gotta love it: jiggle, jiggle, jiggle, twing - beeennnnnddddd. Fifteen minutes later the back rod does the same thing (better fish - took some 15 pound test on the first run). So, I managed to trade two baits for 14.5 and 30 pound flatheads. Nice! (If you are keeping track, the 30 was 40 inches long with a 26 inch girth.)

Well, unfortunately that was it. I stayed out until about 1 AM and tried a few other spots. I got one other fish to show for my troubles: a 9 pound blue cat.

I got to see the new baby leaves coming out and the wild azaleas in bloom, listen to the peepers and the barred owls, see a few bats fly around the rod tips and a cute little water snake sitting on a lilly pad (with the tip of his tail wrapped around the stem to anchor him), soak up a bit of moonlight, and catch a few sunfish and my first two flatheads of 2007.

Not a bad way to start off this year's flatheading.

Off to NC with the family for a few days tomorrow since it's my son's Spring break. Be back in touch soon.

2. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sounds like fun! Thanks for rubbing it in! I have at least another month before I can hit the river. The Minnesota river is high and is only about 43-45 degrees yet. We are also expecting snow tomorrow.

3. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    John,
    Sounds like a great trip. I called you when I was coming back from the tournament Sat. but you were out. I only caught two channels but had two fish break me off - using the small rods during the tournament. Water temp was warmer than usual though, 71 degrees. Call me when you get back from visiting.
    -Bob

4. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    congrats on the fish. Sounds like you had a great time.

5. got one

got one New Member

State:
    michigan
    sounds like the ideal trip to me.