Got my First Boat!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by TX Fisherman, May 8, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just bought my first boat, me and my friend JT. its a 14 ft aluminum V-hull with an 8hp motor and a trailer, we picked it up for 463 on e-bay. we going to pick it up soon ill post some pics when we get it! so excited!! we also picked up a 15 hp motor from a friend, we got it for free, it doesnt run but we gonna try and get that one running and before you know it well be fishing tournys!!

2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Kevin, congratulations on the boat. That should work just fine for you for a while! Enjoy it, but be safe!

3. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    have fun in your new boat but use your head and be safe.

4. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    Congrats on your new boat. It will open up a whole new world of fishing for you. I know you'll enjoy it.

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Good for you bro!!! You're going to love it!!

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I cant think of one single thing that would be better at keeping a youngster occupied and out of trouble than a boat.:big_smile: :lol: Probably lighten your wallet a little also.WHen I was in high school in Texas a couple of us kids had Vespa motor scooters and an old aluminium boat with a 5 horse motor.I assure you we didnt have time to get in trouble because we were always working on keeping the water out ,the scooters running and the outboard working.Why heavens sake our folks had the interesting notion that we should actually get jobs and DO WORK:crazy: :confused2: :eek:oooh: to pay for parts ,gas ,oil etc.So we did!!!! kept us so busy hunting,fishing ,boating,maintaining and working that before you know it we were high school graduates and since we were already trained at WORKING we just thought that was how life was supposed to be.Darn parents were pretty doggone crafty to fool us like that!!:big_smile: :lol: We could have been lazy good for nothings and gotton into lots of interesting trouble if our parents hadn't mislead us.:big_smile: :lol: You just cant trust anyone over 30!!!!!!!:smile2:

7. hogeye12779

hogeye12779 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
  8. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Congrats Kevin on your boat!
    Have fun ,Be safe!Never take chances on the lake or river,you can always go fishing another day.Save some fish for us!:big_smile:
    Ernie

9. angelkittys daughter

angelkittys daughter New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Congratulation on the new boat have fun and be safe

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin congrats on the new boat. Safety first. Fishing second. Enjoy.:lol: :big_smile:

11. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Good for you Kevin!

12. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    kevin, congrats on the boat, i know you have been savin and lookin for a good while. I hope you and your buddy catch a load of fish and make many memories that will last for a lifetime.....like the others are sayin...safety first, fishin second. thats always important....good luck and congrats again.

13. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Congrats on the boat, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Remember to wear your pfd every time your on the water it does no good on the floor of the boat.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Congratulations on the new boat!!! I never had the luxury of a boat till about a couple years ago, before then I was always a bank fisherman. They will give you many great experiences as long as you respect the boat and dont take chances. Keep it very well maintained and dont rig anything. Out on the water the boat is all you have to stay alive and if you dont keep everything in 100% working order, the one thing that you say I'll fix it next time will bite you in the butt. Boats are money pitts but its worth the extra time and money to keep it in good shape. Have fun with it and now you can get to the more remote places with the bigger fish, good luck on your increased poundage catches.

15. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congratulations!!!

You've opened up a whole new world of fishing.

When I got my first boat 6 years ago a good friend of mine gave me a simple piece of advice, it went something like this .......

Remember, if you get into a car accident and get thrown from the car, you land on the ground and will more than likely be unconscious but alive. If you get into an accident in a boat and get thrown you'll still be unconscious, but you'll be in the water. Probably face down.

Very sobering thought.

Rule 1: Safety
    Rule 2: Refer to Rule 1

16. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    congrats on the new boat.

A piece of advice from a past experience in my first boat. Small boats with small motors can NOT outrun thuderstorms. The absolute scariest boat ride I ever took was in my 14 ft jon with an 8 hp motor when an afternoon thunder boomer came up. I heard it coming and thought i still had time fo a few more casts. needless to say about half way back to the landing i was in open water with 3-4 ft swells,30-40 mph winds,blinding rain and frequent close lightning strikes. Thought I would'nt make it in...

17. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.

I had a similar experience except I couldn't outrun it going almost 50mph so I got to shore and waited it out. Pretty scary stuff when lightening hits so close.

18. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I had the same thing happen to me also,i hit the bank and crawled under one of those cement pinic tables,it rained and hailed for about 20 mins,then it cleared up like a bluebird day!
    Ernie

19. sscreekchub91

sscreekchub91 New Member

State:
    indiana

sounds like a good fishing boat! ru fishing river or lakes?

20. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Kevin, all good advice given to you. all i'll add from personal experience is if you feel the slightest uncomfortable about going out or staying out, then get safe and get onshore or stay onshore.
    have fun, and catch some fish.
    gary