Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Got my bait tank ready

717 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MRFLATHEAD 
G
#1 ·
hey guys im ready to go i made a bait tank tonight after work took a 55 gallon plastic drum cut it down little bit bought a 1100 gph bilge pump and put it in the tank ran the hose from the pump up the side of the tank took a old framed window screen and mounted the hose so the water sprays across top of the screen to catch all the dirt. put some stuff to take the chlorine out and put in some non iodize salt to replase slime coat and it helps the bait to breath better. then i put 13 big blue gill in and 8 nice goldfish put another tank right be side it fixed it up the same way ready to go fishing this week

#3 ·
wow , i may be wrong but isn't that way more then you need. 1100 gph is moving pretty fast in a 55 gallon i would think. now i havn't built me a bait tank yet. plan on it , just waiting for the right equpiment for free. actually i got what i need . just want to do it better. and havn't took the time to do it yet. but any way . i do know my aquariums very well. i like to think of myself as a fish tank no it all i quess. i usually know more then the managers at fish stores. and its recomended to at least circulat your water 4 times an hour. and small ponds only 2 times an hour. but also they rule of thumb is always filter a little more . when i bought my aquarium filter i bought one sutible for a heavily populated 100 gallon aquarium. but i only had a 55 gallon . and my water can stay crystal clear no matter what i do. or how many fish i put it . with no fish loss or disease.so since were dealing with shad and gills .or what ever . and a bunch of them . i would dramaticly lower the circulation rate or flow of your bait tank. might exahust your fish . cause you figure 55 gallons times 4 is 220 gallons of water per hour. you got 1100 gph. but useing shad and other dirty fish . you would want a little more circulation you would think then recomended. but i feel the key to keeping bait alive. is the water quality. i would utilize activated carbon which removes toxic ammonia'a and waste and odor. and go with the aquarium salt or noniodized same thing . and i would use some a lot of carbon an other cleaning susbrate. for filter media. and i would even run my portable bait tank or minnow bucket running all the time. once your water and filter stays running so long. the waterwill go through the nitrogen cycle and make itself clean and healthy. i water my plants with aquarium water .i have maid this way to long . i could be wrong . but i think that may be to much water flowing around. -

#4 ·
nothing like having bait for when you need it. i don't have much time to go get bait during the week. the only thing i can really think of jim is watch your tank closely for a couple days. if you get pond baits that are around alot of algae ,or other unclean water a simple screen won't catch everything. your pump with gather the other, and hose will start to build algae itself. the best hose you can buy i think i pure black. it doesn't promote as much growth inside simply because sunlight cannot penetrate it like a clear hose that grows the green stuff! and remember keep your water cool!! a must! goodluck

G
#5 ·
wow the water hose is running up the side of the tank and then runs on top of the carbon filter which is on the screen everyday the screen is changed with an new one. oh yea the bait is doing just fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.