got my bait tank in operation

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by slimdaddy, Aug 8, 2008.

1. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    finally got my tank set up 250 gallon tank got the agitator with pump and made a filter with the bucket seems to be working great but dont have much bait in it yet 100_0699.jpg

100_0700.jpg

100_0698.jpg

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Looks good, Might want to make some kind of lid for it. First time I built one all the fish jumped out of it overnight.

3. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ive got some bait in it for over a week now nothing has jumped out yet keep water down about 6-8" below the top

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    those tanks make nice bait tanks I have 3 of them I use one as a filter and the other 2 to keep bait in.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    You will be able to keep some serious bait alive in that thing, congrats

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Wow, that's nicer than the bait shop tanks! Good Job!

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    verry nice

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    VERY nice tank! Well done! I have an old chest type deep freezer I am going to get up and running for my bait tank. I'm hoping the insulation in the freezer will help keep the temperate down some. Here is SC it gets mighty hot, so anything that will help keep it cool is a must. Once again, WELL done with yours!
    BB in SC

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good looking tank. Thanks for the pictures.

10. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    the sun cant get to mine so far it has stayed cool but its not been super hot here for awhile

11. flo

flo Member

State:
    fay nc
    Well don on the bait tanks, could you tell us what kind of pump you are using for the air system and what the white bucket is for . good job :big_smile:

12. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    the pump is a minno-saver agitator type model 5a has a pump on the bottom of it theres a hose to the bucket in which i made a filter out of it drilled holes in the bottom of the bucket and put gravel on the bottom and poly fil pillow stuffing on top for a filter ive had it going about 2 weeks now and the water is just as clear as when i filled it keeps bait nice and lively ive only had 2 bluegills dye in it so far and there about 3 dozen it now - this pump is made for tanks of 250 gal or more

13. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    my bait tank is doing a good job been over a month and ive only lost about 6 fish so far

14. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Hey Keith looks good, ya mite think about getting some aquarium charcoal it will help eliminate the ammonia from the water, also need to do a 20% water change once a week, if ya can smell any fishy water ya need to do both of the above badly , when you change the water out take the filter media out of ur bucket and rince it out with the old water, never replace all at one time, The media it carries Bactria that the water needs to help brake down the ammonia and does other things to help , ya can get test kit at the pet store to test the ammonia level your fish will love you for it:wink:

When it gets hot you can hang your bucket 4 or 5 feet above the tank and the water falling that far will cool the water down by evaporation cooling , out here in the desert were it gets 120*+ and never fall below 95* for days on end it will keep the water down into the low 80s, but ya got to keep it in the shade

15. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    Where do you get the bubbler for that thing.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Nice tank! Nicer than my 55 gal barrel tank I have running. The good thing about mine is it keeps bait alive...:wink:

17. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    its a 300 gal tank as long as your bait stays lively thats all that matters

18. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    [​IMG] this where i got it from mine was 168.00 but it should last for years works really good keeps bait lively mine has the pump on it so you can run water thru a filter

19. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    What is that cantaner you are using.

20. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    they call them totes i work for a gas and oil dist. and we get diesel fuel additive in them they use them for other stuff to but i washed it out a couple time to get it clean its just big square plastic tank with a steel cage around it