Got me a pair of new rifles

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Guns & Cockpits, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Finally talked the wifey into a couple of the guns that I'm truly passionate about, the good ole lever actions. Brand spankin' new Marlin 1895 XLR .45-70, and it's trusty sidekick, a Marlin 336W 30-30. I'm havin' a ton of fun with them, can't wait for hunting season!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/cessnapilot72/DSC00130.jpg

Pictured with a few Buffalo Bore 500 grain .45-70s, you know, in case of that rogue hippopotamus or something.

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Oooooohhhhh baby! I've always wanted a 45-70 guide gun. Those babies are nice. I have a passion for killing pigs, and that is some snazzy pig medicine. One of these days, I keep telling myself that I'll run across one at a decent price. Maybe someday.

Jerrod

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Hornaday has a new line of 'LeverEvolution" cartridges,a poloymer tipped spitzer bullet made for tubular magazines.,supposed to be good out to 300 yards.....give us a review!! :)

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    nice rifles there ,I personally would give my eye teeth to get a replica 1885 HI Wall in 45/70 just like to keep things traditional

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Lever guns are to cool. I especially like the stainless one. Thanks for the picture. When you've shot it some tell us how they do.

st

6. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    One of these days I'm going to find me a good deal on a lever action 45/70.

I do have the marlin 336 in 30/30 and 35 Remington and I also have an original 1878 Trapdoor 45/70. That trapdoor just can't take any high pressure loads though.

Jesse

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    All I got to say Eric, is you have a really nice wife. Those are nice rifles!
    Sparky

8. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Thank you sir. She is fantastic to say the least.

I should give a bit of credit to my folks, too, as it was her and them that bought the 336 for me for Christmas. It was the XLR that I had to actually talk the wifey into! What a chore, but well worth it.

I took the XLR out today and got to fire off a couple of boxes of the new Hornady LeverEvolution ammo. Great stuff. .45-70 isn't a 150 yard gun anymore. Easy out to 300, probably could have pushed it further, but I'm honestly not that good of a rifleman. We also shot some of the Buffalo Bore 500 grainers, but those don't get nearly the distance. But I can't imagine a bullet that size not being able to take just about anything in North America from 50 yards or closer.

9. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Man I drooled on the key board again!

Those are some purdy peashooters!

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Those are real nice guns! I've always wanted a Sharps or Spencer in 45-70. I don't know what I'd do with it since there ain't many Buffalo in Virginia these days.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    those are sweet! i think that xlr was designed with the leverevolution ammo in mind. if you kill something with that ammo, i'd like to hear about the performance!