Got me a kidney stone!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JPritch, Jan 31, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I had to go to the ER Saturday night with the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I could barely move. I was moving a washing machine earlier that day. The pain started shortly after in my lower right back, then moved around to the lower abdomen and felt like somebody had kicked me in the groin. I took a codeine and felt better, then in no time the debilitating pain came. I'm one to suck it up, but I thought something was seriously wrong, so when my girlfriend said we needed to go to the ER, I agreed right away!:dribble:

After waiting about 6 hours, I was diagnosed with a 3-4mm kidney stone, just small enough for me to pass it on my own.

My question to the brotherhood is: am I gonna know when it's about to pass so I can dope up ahead of time, or will I just be taking a random leak and WHAM! the pain hits?

Needless to say, this is something I'm not looking forward to. I'm disappointed that I'm only 28 and in good health, but already have a stone. I drink water like a camel, but my diet is sometimes bad, and my grandfather had them so I think I am genetically predisposed to stones.

I'll keep you all posted. If you hear a loud scream in the days ahead, that will probably be me!

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Jeeze, that sucks! I honestly hope I never "feel your pain.' lol Sorry, I don't want anything to do with stones. My sister had 'em, and I hope I never do.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was told it is the closest thing to childbirth a male will experience...:eek:oooh:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Do not waste today regretting yesterday.

4. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I know how you feel my son just went through the same thing. Be strong I
    know you are in pain.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    my dad gets them horribly. He gets ones every 5-6 years. His first one was when he was 25 and he didn't know he had it and passed it while driving down the interstate, my mom had to grab the wheel. He drinks alot of Pepsi and since this past one he has stopped. His past one was one of the bigges the doctor had ever seen and they put a stint in last october. The stint was suppose to be in for 2 weeks. They went in with lasers numerous times and tried to break it up. They finally got it and he passed it, he ended up with the stint in for over 5 months, he was miserable. So i can relate to what you are going through. He has probably had 5 of them and besides that first one he always knew when he was about to pass it.

Also, some of the antioxidants in green tea are suppose to help break up the calcium deposits that make kidney stones, i drink green tea daily now. not sureif it's true but i'll try anything after seeing him!

6. davy51

davy51 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    JPritch after it gets past the ureta the pain stops

I have had a few my last one was 2.5 centimeters across

it sounds like it has passed the bladder so the pain wont be as bad as it was i would keep the painkillers close though you can never tell how bad

with meds and a diet change you can stop them from happining

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Good to hear that Dave. I had assumed the worst part was getting it through the man unit...but looks like the worst is behind me. That has calmed my nerves quite a bit!

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    You guys that have had them can keep them for what I hear About them

9. davy51

davy51 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I wont say there wont be any pain but if the doctor said you can pass it it shouldnt be as bad as it was

the worst for me was while it was in the kidney and and after it was crushed right after it left the bladder i had pain after it got to my manthing it became tollerable

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    My step-son is in the Peace Corps in Kenya...his stone was a large one, as well. The docs in Nairobi were unsuccessful in treating it, and there was some secondary infection, so he was flown to Atlanta. Two months later, he was cleared to return to Kenya.

It's small comfort, I know, but it could be worse. My thoughts are with you.

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep I have had them and that is the worst pain you can have. I know because I have had about any conceivable injury you can name and stones are the worst.

I now drink only 2% milk and try to avoid Icecream and always drink at least 8 oz of cranberry juice every day.

When you pass it if things coming out turn red or red incolor then make sure you get some antibotics to avoid a infection.

12. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I get kidney stones every couple years and have had this happening since 1980. I have had at least 5 lithotropysies (sound waves) which break up the stones and they then pass without much pain at all. If they offer you this... Take it!! It beats the passing the stone ordeal.

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Oh, you'll know when you pass it. Trust me! I had one summer before last that coincided with a gout attack. Couldn't fix one without the other giving me a problem. I went through 4 or 5 laser surgeries. When that stoned decides to see light, you'll most definately know it's on it's way! You'll probably even here it "Ping" in the urinal or toilet. The last one I passed was about the size of a number 8 shot. Not fun, but instant relief! Good luck and do exactly what the doc says and you'll be much better off!

14. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I get them too...They do HURT!!! You will know when you are about to pass it because when you go to pee, there will be two streams instead of one..Mine didnt hurt too bad when i passed it, but i know the pain your talking about when it is moving around from your kidney to your urinary track..Thats definantly the worse. Hope you get to feeling better, I know how you feel man.

15. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had 3 before I turned 20. Genetics, my dad started getting them at 22. Horrible pain and the second one came on the night of my girlfriends prom 2 years ago. Really hurt. I got another one my first year of college during exam week and had to go to exams in horrible pain since doping up would not help my exams. I had to cut back on milk and I have fallen in love with cranberry juice. Have not had one in a year now.

16. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Hang in there. It's temporary. I've had kidney stones 7 times in the last ten years, as many as five at a time. The really tough ones take me 5 or 6 weeks to get from start to finish. Passed 2 last new years, and have one left from that go-round in my right kidney about 5mm size. Drink pleanty of water, lemonade, white soda.

Here's a kidney stone horror story: My brother-in-law's father gets stones as frequently as I do, and we trade stories. He had one a few years ago that the doc said would pass, but hung up so tight near the end of his unit it blocked flow completely. He went to the ER, and there was no urologist on duty and the ER guys didn't know how to handle it. Waited almost 6 hours for the guy to get to the hospital, all the while begging the docs and nurses to kill him. At one point, he jumped up, grabbed a book, and tried to smash it out. They stopped him, gave him a sedative and the uro doc got there. He had the nurse bring a mop bucket, and said, "You're not going to like this a whole lot, but I have to do this right now or you're going to have bigger problems." Doc took a pair of surgical scissors and gave him a sort of episiotomy, split him back about 2 inches. Relieved him of an 8mm stone and a gallon of backup. Went to surgey to repair. I can't imagine the pain!

All things will pass, in time. Hope you don't feel a thing.

Dennis

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh:

18. Techno2000

Techno2000 New Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Drink Beer to flush it out, pee in a small screen to catch it, mine did'nt hurt
    at all coming out.:smile2: