Got manhandled above Lake Lanier :(

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jerseycat9, Aug 20, 2007.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Well I have been following the rumors of flatheads on lake lanier for some time and always have a pole set out just in case. We were fishing above lake lanier in the hooch arm on saturday night. I had spent that saturday morning walking for a couple hours along the bank of the river looking for some likely spots to find just such a fish and found 3 sure things if there was such a thing. The first spot wich was a good 30 minute walk from the car was a bust. Then we hit the second spot and managed two channels on cutbaits. The third spot was the best of them all and the most remotely located spot also. At around 4am I had a fish pick up my bream and slowely swim off using circle hooks I let it load the rod up and boy did it :crazy: I picked up the pole and the fight was on this fish was a slower more powerfull fish than a striper so I ruled a striper out very quickly.This fish had no problems stripping 50+yrds of line off the reel wich was spooled with 25lb test. I mangaed to turn him twice only for a second or two before he made his way back up river. At one point the fish turned toward me heading back into the direction of the snags in which I believe he came from so I was in panick mode reeling like a maniac and then just as he was straight ahead of me in the river he made a sharp turn got the angle he needed and the hook pulled. I am not 100% sure it was a flathead but I dont see any other fish coming from that lake with that kind of power seemingly on tap.

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Looks like your gonna have to hit that spot again. I know your jonesing to go back there.:0a32:

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Terry, get back in that hole. I bet he's still there. Man, that's exciting!!

4. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Wow, sounds crazy! Keep us posted!!

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    You shouldnt be reading these posts. you should be back at that spot with some live & cut bait.

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Don't waste time with a cut bait... use a lively bullhead, sunfish, goldfish or salamander!

And a side note... spool up with 30# Big Game or stronger line. The least line I use on a levelwind is 50 with most of my reels sporting 80# test. These large fish don't come every day, so use line that is up to the task.

Once the giant is landed, handle it gently, photograph and weigh, then release the beautiful creature to pass on the genetics for your grandchildren to fish for. Everyone likes to brag about their big fish... brag with a picture and not a decomposing carcass.

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Well I will hit that section again this weekend its a far walk with all the tackle involved plus I dont want to spook him out of this section of river cause there is I would say 30+ miles of this river that are unaccesable by boat or car.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Think I'd leave the circle hooks at home. Especially if it pulls out when the fish gets the angle it needs. Course that happens with J hooks and kahle hooks also. You may need a bigger hook so it gets more of a bite. And, I guess a BIG circle could work also. LOL

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I have spent a lot of time on Allatoona which you know is just a tad south of you. One morning I was setting my Striper rods( 4 inch bluegills freelined 20 feet behind a balloon with one puff of air in it) and I had a strong fast run. Finally got the fish close enough to the boat to see it and was absolutly stunned to see an ALLIGATOR GAR of about 30 pounds. I shook him off (hook was just hung up between his teeth) Never knew they were in that lake and never caught another one in Allatoona but it was one big, bad dude...I have caught lots and lots of Alligator gars in Mississippi and florida so I am sure that is what it was. How he got there ???? Maybe somebody brought a little one back from south Ga or Fl.. who knows ???