Got into some yellow jackets while ago

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Bill in SC, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Was mowing with the riding mower at my mom's. Ran over their nest. One got me on the hand, arm and back of the head. Like to knocked me off the mower! I'll get them boogers tonight. They will ALL be home at night. I will take a piece of screen wire and put over their hole so they can't get out. Then I will pour a gallon of clorox on 'em, down the hole. That'll learn 'em! :wink: I would rather mess with a nest a mocassins than bees!
    Bill in SC

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Bill, gasoline works really, really quick....a pint should do it:wink:

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's the way I do it! I get hit every time I mow the old cemetery on my place. A couple years ago I burned out six nests within a 20 foot circle. I don't know why they like that little cemetery so much.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah, mama's front yard has 'em every year. I used to use gas, but I figure clorox is more environmentally friendly. Nothing like the "whoomp" of gasoline fumes igniting within those underground cavities the bees make!! :smile2: My hand is swelling grotesquely, so I won't feel a bit bad about eradicating them.
    Bill in SC

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have been there many times, before i joined the army, i cut grass for a company.....................yellow jackets seemed to be everywhere this time of year

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just found some today in my old Farmall. I hit them with brake cleaner. That flat kills them. It takes the wax coating off any bugs, just like skinning them alive.

Little buggers got my right hand good. lol

I won the war.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They're the most 'potential' danger in the woods around here this time of year; they're particularly aggressive now because the nests contains the queens (larvae) that will breed and then hibernate through winter and then start new colonies next year. This applies to wasps, hornets, bumblebees, etc., also.

Skunks wreck havoc on these ground yellow jackets, they seem to be impervious to the stingers. They dig them out of the ground and eat the larvae from the nests.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill I can relate to the yellow jackets stings. I use to clean fence rows out and would always get stung several time, no matter how much attention I paid. Sorry for your pain.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    We have a nest under a wooden walkway at the boat ramp. A week back I was walking down to the boat when somebody started talking to me... instead of paying attention to where I was walking, I stepped right over their nest and took 4-5 quick stings to the ankles. Gasoline is not an option, but I have a can of bug spray with their names on it. Just need to hit them when there is no one else around, it could get messy pretty quick if some of them escape.

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    oh dang!!! the end is near! me and Billie agree on something:wink::smile2:

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have been stung about 18 or 19 times this year from those little buggers and I am here to tell you that they won't do it again:smile2: Not that bunch anyways.
    The best thing I have found to take the sting out is ammonia and it really works. The best thing I have found for killing them is gas in a squirt bottle and then some down the hole.

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Man there must be a epidemic on stings gion on you are the third I know of cluding me this week shoot I went crosseyed and bout peed myself them babies hurt bad when you get it by 3 or 4!

13. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sure know what you are talking about. Bush hogging monday and stirred up a nest......I found out a Massey Furgson just won't outrun them critters...... but I found out that a fire over their hole causes them to make little pops as they try getting out!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Big bunch of protagonists is what you guys are. If you let them alone they will leave you alone! What would you do if you were just starting your day and along comes some big ol home boy and starts mess'n wifh your digs? lol My grandma told me a long long time ago that when ever a stinging bug came around, why all I had to do was make my left fist real tight, as tight as I could and they wouldn't sting me. Hey' it works like magic!
    When ever I ran into them mowing I would just park the mower deck over the hole for a while. Seriously they know when you are scared or angry because of the smell of fear that you emit. If you stay cool calm and collected 99.9 percent of the time they will not sting. I don't take chances with the grand kids though. If a nest has been located any where near It is eradicated immediately with wasp and hornet spray with complete malice and forethought and extreme prejudice! lol
    The only one that is totally unpredictable is wasps especially the big purple ones man' they will drop right down on you with out any provocation! Ouch!:crazy:

15. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Put some dishwashing liquide in it and it will kill them little boogers just as fast as gasoline but a lot cheeper. Just a thought Thanks Sam Davis

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <If you let them alone they will leave you alone!>

With an entrance hole about the size of a silver dollar, they can be very difficult to locate in the grass. I was 20 feet from the nest when the first one popped me. Then the other two got me.

<If you stay cool calm and collected 99.9 percent of the time they will not sting. I don't take chances with the grand kids though>

Brother, when you are on a noisy mower, and have been stung three times already and they are swarming all around, it's mighty hard to remain cool and calm. I have been stung by about every kind of bee we have, and I will say the yellow jacket is the worse sting of them all. The bites literally about knocked me off the mower. The bite on the hand left the stinger in and it was just a pumpin' poison when I pulled it out. It put me to bed early last night in SEVERE pain. I usually apply meat tenderizer to bee stings, and it works miracles, but I didn't have any on hand. Glad to hear of the ammonia tip. I always have some of that around.
    Bill in SC

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Hey SAM I will remember the dish washing liquid suggestion but I sure love to see those flames coming out of that nest :smile2:

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry to hear your in pain Bill. I spent eighteen years on a tractor with a five foot belly mower cutting grass, weeds, fields, orchards and dikes as my regular job. Oh I've been stung plenty of times, but it was always my fault. When I was a kid we used to get bumble bees after us then whack them with bad mitten racquet's! That keeps ya hopp'n for sure! lol To me a Hornet sting is the worse, closely followed by a wasp because their bite burns so bad. If I were allergic I suppose I would feel a little differently. lol Or maybe they just got tougher yellow jackets down your way! lol But regardless I have seen plenty of people get stung that were running and swatting and they left me alone. You do have to have nerves of steel though....:wink:

19. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would be happy if there were none, just one of them little boogers gets after me and I am headed for the ER! :angry:

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Glad we only have to look out for the paper nests hangin from the house eaves here Bill. They hurt like he!!