Got into some carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by massa_jorge, Jun 24, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    just got back from the lake. nothing was biting worth a darn so i figured i'd try some carp. i used a 1/34th ounce jig with bread on it, after i baited them up to the dock with bread. caught four from 4 to 12 pounds. now i have some cat bait for this afternoon.

2. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    hey Massa jorge,does carp make a good cut bait for cats,I am new to all this:embarassed:

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yeah it's pretty good bait. i put it right up there with shad, and it's more durable.
    scale, fillet, leave the skin on and cut the ribs out. cut the fillet into 1 or 2 inch chunks, bigger for blues. you can also use strips but i use circle hooks so i want as much bait as possible in the fish's mouth when they run.
    marinate overnight in fresh crushed garlic and 1/4 cup vegetable oil, make sure you keep it cool so the meat and skin don't separate.
    the oil makes a slick and channel cats really tear it up. i think of all the carp i have shot or wasted or whatever, and man i could have caught a bunch of fish on them. i don't pitch any unwanted fish on the bank anymore, but still...

oh if you want you can use it without marinating, it works this way too. cats have a hard time getting it off the hook because the skin is so tough.

it's one of my go to baits now.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    oh welcome to the boc eddie!

5. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Thanks for the info. Massa jorge,until last month all I had used was chicken livers,night crawers,crickets and shad,carp will be next,thanks

6. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Couldn't agree more. I also use carp for catfish bait, I don't add anything to mine. I am sure it works great though. Like was said previously, scale and fillet them. Leave the skin on. I don't even cut out the rib bones. Hook it one time, from the meat side through the skin side. jorge, congrats on the day of fishing. Carp are great fun.

7. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I was once told by an oldtimer to put the carp in a burlap bag and beat the crap out of the carp with a boat paddle to bruise the meat and draw blood into the meat before using it for bait. I never tried it, but the old man swore it worked.

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I recently started using live and cut carp for bait and I love it. I got about 200 in some tanks behind the house that I caught that range from 1 inch to 9 inches in length. I found there ponds that have thousands in there this size. saw a few that may go 30 to 40 lbs but they are to big for bait. blues really seem to like a live carp about 5 inches long. havent tried them for flatties yet but intend to real soon.