Got Into A Mess Today

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by cat-chaser, Nov 17, 2006.

1. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'd been wanting to catch a few crappies (white perch around here) for awhile now and had been only getiing a couple here & there.Today I went to a relative's ranch & fished a farm pond thats fed by a creek coming off of a major river and got into a good mess of 14-15 inchers.They were stacked along the bank in about 4 feet of water spread throughout a section of downed trees in the water.They were really tight to the cover & I lost alot of jigs but I managed 23 fish in about 3 hours. I missed or lost more than I caught.I fished small chatreuse tubes on 1/32 heads with no bobber-just dropping in holes in the cover.It reminded me of Mississipi River oxbow lake crappie fishing (not quite as good,but close).I learned it all here,thanks fellow fishers.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds like a very productive and fun trip, congrats

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Whens the fish fry?

4. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice job...sounds like a great time...if u need any help eating them i'd be more than willing to help :smile2:

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    When I fish brush I loose alot of jigs too. The bait shop loves it when I crappie fish. LOL
    Bill

6. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Uh, thanks alot Paul! Dang...you givin me the Crappie Fever and its only 35 degrees here this morning :cry: and its all yur fault! waaaaaaaaaaa
    lol

7. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    They're all fried & dusted off now.The cats in my neighborhood love when I go fishing,too.I'm going to try again this morning,after the fog wears off.

8. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    QUIT, you're making me hungry.

9. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    All part of the game! LOL

10. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I went out again today-caught some more fish,lost some more jigs.I only caught 12 today but I wasn't there as long .This time,they weren't in the tree,they were hanging around the edges over deeper water,kind of under the tree. I lost a bass that probably went about 3 or 4 lbs,too.By the way,I'm fishing from the bank with a 10ft fly rod & micro spinning reel.Still on the chartreuse

11. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Paul that sounds like lots of fun. Thanks for sharing with us, I always enjoy good fishing reports.

st

12. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    congrats man.sounds like a very good day

13. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Way to go on the Catch! I wish I could get into to crappie right now

14. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I found them again today after blanking out yesterday.They were no longer in the trees against the bank, but instead they were along the dropoff.From what I remember about this spot before the water came back up, I think its about 5-6 feet deep.I only caught 6,but they were all over 12 inches and they were hitting chartreuse with flakes only about 12 inches under a cork.They wouldn't touch anything else and I didn't catch a single fish without a Crappie Nibble on the hook.They've been biting really slow lately and I almost have to keep the jig completely still,like in summertime but they're hitting it pretty hard,though.I might try again tomorrow or Thursday,my grandmother wants some white perch fillets.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    congrats on a nice catch.

16. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Man your doin better than I am, I went out the other day, to catch some white perch, and only caught one BIG GOO. It did put up a good fight though.lol

17. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey David,you're in a much better spot for them than I am.I'm planning to do some crappie fishing up near Tallulah & Delhi and Lake Providence this winter & spring.

18. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Nice man! I went with my family and a few cousins to our camp that has a 18 acre pond out front and caught about 60 sacalait this past week, all of them right around a pound (we ended up cleaning about 30 though, had to let some of them go, especially considering you're gettin 2 fillets a fish!) Talk about FUN! They were hitting right off the bottom on all types of jigs in 17-18 feet of water. Also had a few fish running into the 2 pound range.

19. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I'm gonna go give em a shot this weekend. It may be a bit cold out, but I'm gonna go.

20. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I haven't been able to go out the last couple of days because of rain here :sad2: but as soon as it quits,I'll be back at it.Now's the time in some places,as they're coming up from the deeper water and bunching up in big schools (especially down south).