Got Gar?

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by Catmaster, May 5, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    How many gar do you think you have caught in your lifetime? I have not been alive that long but I bet it is up over 50 at least. There are a ton of gar in the Neosho. They are fun to catch and all but I do not like to eat them.

2. ~CATFISH~

~CATFISH~ New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    i havent ever caught a gar but once my uncle did... he was using a crawdad

3. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Ive caught many gar and am to the point that I absolutly hate them. Not to put anyone down that fishes for them but they are so thick around here that you dont dare use minnows unless gar is what you want to catch. Large chubs or bluegill for bait seems to lessen the chance of them though.

4. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    In TX we would atch big gar all the time 4-6 ft maybe 20 in around and this is in central TX. East TX around lake livingston they got monsters . Their favorite fod is fresh water drum and they are not that hard to catch.ually catch them on a live but sliced up gill while I am catfishing, they are troble to get the meat out but just ask some of our cajun brothers if gar meat is any good, it comes out alitle mushy but as son as you put the fire to it it tightens up like a pork chop

SE YOU ON THE FISH BANK SOME TIME

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Been catching the snot out of them, for me they are a nuisance, most don't make it back into the water alive, occasionally I like to use them as cut bait if I have the equipment to cut them.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I target gar, and I'll target gar and bowfin everyday before tagetting bass. But what most people's problem with gar is, they don't want to catch them. I go out on the water with a species I'd "prefer" to catch, but anything is fun. I caught several gar last weekend from 3lbs up to 11lbs 2oz on my favorite 6'6" light action rod with 4lb test line...What a BLAST! These things will draw line off a standard bass rod like nothing, and jump like they think they're part marlin! Plus, a fish that hasn't evolved in 100,000 years must be doing something right. If the cat bite is slow enough for the gar to catch up a bait, then it's time to move, or fish for gar.

7. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I haven't caught that many but it disgusts me when people break their "beak" and leave them on the bank to die.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Gatorbait I am with you on the bill breaking. Funny how killing a flathead because it is an invasive non-native species is bad, but killing a native gar because "we don't like it" is ok.

I have never caught one, but it looks like it would be fun. Maybe this year I will throw out some live bait and give it a shot.

I have heard they are hard to hook?? I see them a lot on top of the water when I am trolling for cats, especially as it gets warmer. Looks like some live bait on bobber would work good.

9. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Never caught one.

:cat:

10. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I normally catch them on trot lines all the time. But I caught my first one on a reel about one month ago. I though I had another carp on the line until I got it closer in towards the bank. Netted it and got the hook out of its mouth and it weighed just over 6lbs. Awesome fighting fish, but with all those teeth if they get the hook too far it I would just cut the line and let it go. Put it back in the water after I weighed it and watched it swim off. The funny thing is I was fishing for crappie and it was caught on a white feather jig.

11. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Ive caught way too many in my lifetime and I havent been alive that long either. The big ones are better to eat because its too hard to clean the smaller ones. Anything under about 15-20lbs I throw back.