Got funny stories or good memories about Gatherings???

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by CuzICan, Jan 31, 2009.

1. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    We are about to have our MO gathering again this year. I know there's several been had in the past and more to come but I think these are a vital part of our site and create bonds between folks in "real" life that carry over to the forum, and vica versa!....I bet there is a ton of hilarious antics that have gone on at the gatherings that would not only give us all a laugh, but might encourage members to get to these things if they can! I had only been here about a month and a half when I went to my first gathering and it was just great, we laughed and had a blast the whole time.

Sorry if this is not the appropriate place but I couldn't think of a better place for new members to get to read and see how important these are to us as members and friends....

I had only been a member here for about a month as I said and John asked me did I want to go to a "gathering". I had no clue what that even WAS. ( that's one reason I wanted to post it in general so new members would see it and get acquainted with the fact that they exist). After he explained to me what they had planned, I was all for it. I love meeting new people and to talk with them in person after interacting online is really neat!

I was so excited! We make all these plans, we make lists and think about what we will donate at the supper for a MONTH....

The day we left, it was still a little cool, so I had John stop at WalMart and bought myself a cheapo jogging suit. We packed up, had a truck and boat full of stuff, and got to Trumann Park at about 11/12 oclock and set up camp. We milled around there meeting everyone that was coming in and John had his friend, Robert, stay at the campsite with us since his wife couldn't be there.

John and Robert got ready to hit the lake and John said, " Hey get my old shoes outta the clothes bag, would you?" I went in the tent, and no bag.

I said, "well if you would unpack it, it would be helpful", in my sarcastic way. I walk to the boat and look in it...no bag...I go to the truck and look in it...NO CLOTHES.

"JOHNNNNNNN FISHER!!!!", I holler loud enough for everyone on Raccoon Ridge to hear! "You were the last one in the house checking to see if we got our things!! Did you not pick up the duffel bag in the bedroom???"

"UMMMMMM I guess not." John is lookin everywhere for the clothes, while I am having a mild stroke.

"Well," says I, " I don't know what you are gonna do, but I have what's on my back and a new jogging suit".

This year I think I will Check behind Johnny Bob, the great outdoorsman and make dern sure I got my clothes! Streakin around the campgrounds in front of 50 people was NOT on my agenda and I really don't wanna scare the other members at the gathering this year....:wink:

I have yet to live this one down! Luckily the campgrounds did have washers, dryers and showers. Saved my butt LITERALLY!!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

**** New Members: You can find out more information about gatherings in your area and state under MEMBER GATHERINGS which is a heading all of it own on the main navagation page of the forum.

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Well after some thought I cannot just do one so I guess I'll do some short ones
    I have been to 3 state gatherings and one National and one thing about them is the food is great the people you meet are great and the memories will last a life time
    At the National I never met a stranger just a friend I needed to get acquinted with and if you wanted entertained just watch and something would happen to make you smile we even had a singing group yep I heard them about 4am one morning and they sounded pretty good concidering LOL
    But all kidding aside if you ain't never been go to at least one you won't regret it

3. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Don't have any yet, but I'm sure I will before long. LOL

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have been to several gatherings and have fond memories of all of them. If my health was good I would attend all that was within reach of me. I especially enjoyed a gathering in Henderson Ky a couple of years back when DH was making trash can turkey. I never thought it would work but it did and the turkey was great. You never know what you will learn or meet at a gathering. I highly recommend one.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Lets see.......um, Mendota 2005 I fell in the the Mendota slough:roll_eyes: last year at Mendota 08 I broke 2 chairs, all leaving me sprauld on the ground ROFLOL!!!! There are more like Bert (Shania) getting kicked by Jaime (Janzaldo) in their sleep:smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    LOL now the chair breaking is something that would happen to ME!!! Thanks for the post all I was thinking this went over like a lead balloon and I was really lookin forward to hearing some testimonials and funny stories! thanks for posting, and I hope more will tell us some tales! I know ya'll got some to tell! :smile2:

7. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well I have only been to 2 gathering. OKAM-1 spoonbill gathering at Twin Bridges Oklahoma and last year at Keystone. I had a blast at both and luckily I left before the hell storm at Keystone. They got pretty banged up at that one. But the one at Twin was one to write home about. We had snow sleet and rain and can't forget the flood.lol. I will not use the names,(to protect the guilty), but we had one group take off down river to do some snagging. Then about 1 hour before it got dark the head waters of the flood started coming past the park. When I say flood I mean we had stuff like refrigerates washing machines and full size trees coming down river. We figured the boys would be alright,but when it got dark and still no boat we started getting worried. Finally got to the point we where getting ready to call the lake patrol in,then we hear a out bored creping up river. Not one light could be seen. Still don't know how they made it through all the stuff and tress. But we all made it home and didn't have to use even one body bag.lol. I will probably get in trouble from Kevin for this,but I have to added it. For those that know Hope will know her husband zoelife (Kevin). The first day of snagging Kevin snagged this monster that pulled us all over the river.lol. About 10 feet with the river current.lol Thx for the fun Kevin.

8. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    With all do respect to Kevin, I have to post a pic of the next spoonbill Kevin snagged. It was a pleasure meeting all the people that showed up for that gathering,But to see the excitement and the smile he had on his face when he landed this bad boy made the gathering one of those moments I will never forget. If you have never been to a gathering, then u should find were one is at and get their. The BOC gatherings will give u memory's for life. thx from rudeopossum

9. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    OMG I just laughed like heck over the stuff coming down the river and told John are you reading this???

He said yeah that is close to where he fish at Grand Lake and he remembers that, said they propane tanks and everything else in that mess.

Nice fish Kevin caught though, I laughed when you said that other one drug you all over the lake!

Glad every one was okay though, geez what a mess, thankful that ya'll didn't need body bags! That's a PLUS after what you guys went through.

10. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    There has been several memorable times at keystone. Like the time a large white rabbit showed up. On another night there was owl hooting in camp.The good times and food memory's will last forever. Going to a gathering is like family Reunion, only with people you like :smile2:

11. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Oh lord we had a whipperwill get started at the MO gathering in the middle of the night and he never shut up...Woke me up at about 3 in the morning and MMR (John) asked me the next morning did I hear it...I said YEAH in was in the tree right by my tent! LOL!

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Might of been a Whipper Will but, none like I ever heard around here.They must sound different down around Truman Lake.Cher your not the only one who was kept awake.(If I'd a had a GUN:roll_eyes: bye,bye Birdie!!:eek:oooh:)

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Cher, I've only been to two gatherings; hope I can attend more in the future.

My BEST memory is of the Friday night at the BOC national gathering '06, with what they call the BOC quartet.

Don't remember when I had that much fun while singing, ever before or since. Netmanjack had been out fishing, and he drove in pullin' his boat, jumped out and started singin' bass. Loanwizard was our tenor, and jholl949 sang lead. I did my best to sing alto, although I DID start singin' the higher tenor part sometimes (much to loanwizard's dismay, but I'm used to singin' that part with my sis singing lead as a duet).

We stood out there and sang gospel (mostly)) in the middle of the campground at Kenlake until 5 o'clock in the morning. Catfish_Commando and Mark_J made a video. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, I know I did.

Don't ask details about the presentation of "A Country Boy Can Survive". I bet THAT video is out there SOMEwhere!

Gosh it was FUN.

14. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Here is a couple videos from a little Kansas gathering we had last year. Gus checked his pole in the morning to find out he had a fish on but it was caught up in a snag. So we got a boat out there and the videos are of JJ helping him get the fish out of the snag. Weather was about 60 degrees and the water was about the same temp.

http://s468.photobucket.com/albums/rr48/kylew004/?action=view&current=08fishintrip035.flv

http://s468.photobucket.com/albums/rr48/kylew004/?action=view&current=08fishintrip036.flv

15. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    LOL! How funny!:smile2::smile2:

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    the gathering that sticks out in my mind the most is keystone 6.was getting ready to leave sunday morn when the storm hit.i was with cassk and we had left her toon in the water to load it last.the hail started cross the lake from us and it looked bad coming towards us.we jumped in the truck and i pulled it up over the sidewalk and put the bumper against the biggest oak tree i could find.when the hail got to us it sounded like bombs going off when it hit the truck cab.when the windshield started busting i made cass cover her face with a towel to keep from getting cut by flying glass.we ended up with 5 broke ultra lite rods 2 11 foot heavy surff rods busted and 9570.00 dollars damage to the truck.funny thing bout it all was i met so many good people cass and i had it on our to do list this year.go figure

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    My first Gathering was 2007 up at Truman Lake.PK Powell and family and I all shared a site together.I borrowed my sons small tent(which I couldn't fit
    in):eek:oooh:so PK's girls used it and I shared a tent with PK and Steve.That is after we finally got the tent up.:roll_eyes:
    To begin with PK borrowed a very large tent from her sister which had never been put up and remember now I hadn't been tent camping since back in the 70's.Just a bit Green I'd say and they had never been tent camping to my knowledge so yea a whole bunch of green horns needless to say.Anyway we proceeded to put up tent (at least we tried) which didn't work to well.Think we worked about 45 mins until I was about ready to start saying some choice words(don't think I did) so anyways I told them Guess we'll have to swallow our pride and go ask for help.:sad2:
    So here I go walking down to Spoonfish (Troy's) site, hat in hand asking (begging for help)explained what the problem was and after a few (laughs) from them they all came up to our site.They was Spoon (Troy) a boy
    home on leave from the service name of Darrell (wonder what ever happened to him) and others whom I can't remember (sorry) guys.But thanks.
    Anyway they all proceeded to put tent up.After a bit of decussion and all it finally got put up.
    Need less to say good ole Troy still reminds me of that.Last year I bought my own tent and I grantee you I put it up 4 times in my yard before I ever showed up at Truman for last Yrs Gathering.

So to any new people or anyone who has never been to a Gathering you really need to to make plans to attend one.You'll never forget it.

18. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Does any body relize the one thing all the post have in common?

How much fun that was had at the gathering that they attended [cause they are fun]

19. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    To me it is the people that make a great gathering . Fishing at a gathering is secondary.

20. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Amen I didn't even get to fish last time, I was doing chemotherapy, and had to stay at the campsite, but this year all seems to be okay with that. I had a WONDERFUL time there just meeting and talking with everyone and going around eating everybody's food all the time. The feed that Saturday night was unbelieveable all the good food that was there, and the company was awesome. AK WOLF sat and showed us all kinds of ways to tie different knots to use for our baits and hooks and all and I learned alot from him, he is a great guy. Catfish Safari was there, with so many different NICE rods and we have our dear Rusty who not only is best friends with the coons on raccoon ridge but handmakes knives and our big fish trophies.

Meeting everyone was spectacular and I so look forward to this next one. I'll even get to FISH!!! I plan to win the big fish trophy this year :wink: so that John can look at it everyday green with ENVY LOL!!! I WISH!!!