Got chicks

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by 223reload, Jul 1, 2007.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well we set a dozen eggs in our incubator 21 days ago and have had a 60% hatch, My daughter and Wife had never experienced watching little ones hatch before and it was exciting for them. insted of doing the old heat bulb routine we tried to place a broody hen with them .the first one was not having any of it but the second hen took up with them like they were her very own, hope to have some pics soon to share with you but anyway my daughter is beginning to build up the flock again as most of her birds were killed in the twister we had back in March.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    223: Aren't they the cutest things? We gave up our last 5 bandy hens yesterday. The rooster was killed by a fox this spring. They have been broody and quit laying eggs. The only thing I could have done with them was put some quail eggs or turkey eggs under them. Will be the first time in 23 years we haven't had chickens. We do have 14 guineas though. We have 13 males and one hen who just hatched 15 keats. She had one male who stayed with her at night. He got killed last night by a fox. That SOB will prob. take her out tonight. Can't get her in, they are too wild. Good luck with your brood. They are the best learning experience for anybody.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    That is an awsome sight to see!!! Nature at it's finest.

Yumm Yumm, fried chicken and chicken-n-dumplins staring you right in the face, LOL!!!

4. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    hahaha.. brain of a teenage boy.. i was thinkin somethin totally different lol

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I figured i'd catch a few of you younguns with that title :smile2::crazy:

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Just a question but besides feathered watchdogs what are guineas good for?

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jer: I have been around them all my life, except when I lived in Chicago. They make excellent watchdogs as you have said. Whether it's fox, redtail hawks, horned owls, or somebody they don't know coming down your driveway, they will let you know. We have a very large house-yard, 4 plus acres that we have in a variety of gardens. Unlike chickens who scratch and dust in our flower beds, guineas will go through the gardens picking bugs like a vacuum cleaner. They love slugs, snails and especially ticks. Unfortunately they like snakes, which I like to have around. They make excellent eating- all dark meat. I like them as good as pheasant. If you brine them overnight in salt and sugar water they get very moist when cooked (roasted). They never get tame. They come in a variety of colors. We have always had bad luck with the white ones. When they nest they always nest outdoors in tall grass or weeds. The horned owls pick them off at night like candy. Their eggs are very rich and making good cooking substitutes for regular hens eggs. After all this yap-my reason for having them is cause I just like them.

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    they will pick a yard clean of every tick, and other bug in a short time.

9. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    congrats richard and katy on the chicks....i havent seen that site in a long time myself. we've always had stuff like that goin on growin up, nothin in the world like it. hope yall have much success rebuildin the flock.

10. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have never had the pleasure of hatching chicks. We have always just ordered them from the feed mill in town and they arrive as day old. We got 20 a couple months ago, the first we had in about five years. When I was younger my dad would order them from some where and they would come in the mail. They would always give a couple extra to make up for the one or two that didn't make it.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    And some day you'll have fresh eggs.
    Nothing like fresh eggs, wife's kin folk usually give us a bunch when we are up their way. :big_smile:

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    How do you keep your guinea from running off to far?

13. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i luv yard eggs!!!
    John did you say you eat guinea's? i never knew that... er i wish i would have heard sooner. when i was in high school there was an old lady down the road that had about 20 of them. when she died her son paid me and one of my brothers 2$ for every bird that we killed. we piled them up. i sure wish id have known they tasted good. i asked the man about eating them, but he said the meat was NOT like a turkey or chicken, and that it would be a waste of time cleaning them.

14. SPONSOR BOT

SPONSOR BOT Guest

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    john, sounds like you need to set up at night and do some fox calling! need to blow a few away and get the message out you're not running a restaurant.

16. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I manage poultry operation and by the weekend I'll have 30,700 X 8 cute little chicks. 245,600 chicks lose their cuteness real quick...a ton of work

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I usually never eat soft fried eggs unless they are fresh from the chicken.

18. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My Dad spent his duty as a cook in the Air Force in Iceland in WWII. He would tell stories about the grub they had to make up. One he liked to tell was cracking eggs for scrambled mess. About every 6th egg would have a developing chick in it. Some would be quite aways along. In the pot it would go! He said those guys never knew the difference and would ask for more. He never liked to cook once he got home, never saw him so much as fry an egg.