got any tips for me

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by generallee, May 26, 2008.

1. generallee

generallee New Member

State:
    tennessee
    title says it all i need sum fishing tips you know bait line hooks anything that has to do with fishing

2. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    what are you fishing for and where? Question has too many answers but if you narrow it down a little I am sure someone can give a little help.

3. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Michael
    My bestest tip: you very, very seldom catch a fish from the sofa, watching TV. In my experience get up and go will almost always catch more fish.
    Luck

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    fish shallow flats next to deep channels.best advice i can give.

5. generallee

generallee New Member

State:
    tennessee
    im fishing for large and small mouth bass channel cats flat heads and drum im fshing in back water and ponds

6. generallee

generallee New Member

State:
    tennessee
    strongest line i have 10 pound test but a cat fish broke it
    the size of the hooks

7. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Where at in tennessee? aso what king of line are you using? I hate cheap line like the stuff that says 10lb 1000 yds for 1.99 lol. cheap line will fail. I fish in and around clarkville

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The best advice I can give is read the reviews, and buy what fits your budget yet still gets the job done.

9. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Good 10# test should be okay for bass unless you are fishing in heavy cover. For channels unless there are some big ones you should still be okay with the 10# line. It wouldn't affect your casting that much to move on up to 12# though. The main thing is you need to make sure you have your drag set where some line can come out before it breaks. As someone earlier said cheap line is rarely worth it and old line breaks more easy as well. Better off to spend a little more and get you some good line. If you are using monofilament and fishing a lot you need to change it at least twice a year. What type reel are you using? There is quite a bit of discussion about monofilament verses braid on here but the following is what I am comfortable with and represents only my opinion on the subject. On an open face reel or a push button you can stick with monofilament(I use Trilene Big Game mostly for my mono but I also fish braid on one of my my open face reels). When I fish bait casting reels(mostly what I use) I use Power Pro braided line exclusively. You can get something like 30# test with diameter of 8# test it still casts really good. Unlike the monofilament you don't have to change it out as often but I have read if you fish around a lot of rocks it tends to fray and break but where I fish that has not been an issue. If you are fishing with braid you can just feel stuff better and if you are fishing something like plastic worms for bass since it doesn't have much stretch you can cross their eyes when you set the hook. As far as hook sizes you just have to match size to fish you are catching. I probably would use about a 3/0 or 4/0 circle hook for the catfish but remember with circles do not set hook you just start reeling or it will come out of their mouth. I also fish a lot of Kahles for catfish. For bass I normally fish all artificial baits which have their own hooks or I use plastic worms and lizards(earlier in the spring when fish on beds especially good time then as water warms up I switch to worms). I use some good laser sharpened offset shank worm hooks and I Texas Rig my stuff mostly to avoid hanging. Hope this helps but if you have some specific questions ask then on here or PM me and I will tell you all I know which may or not be helpful:big_smile:

10. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you know how to use your drag 10 lb line can be enough...depending on what kind of structure you're fishing. Proof positive can be seen here --->http://flyfisherman.com/mca/xworldrecordtarpon/

Lots of line class records are held for huge fish caught on tiny line. I think there's a guy that holds a line record for a 54 lb flathead caught on 2 lb line. Don't get the wrong idea and head out with just 10 lb, just saying it can be done. I'm not one of those, I like 30 lb and up.

11. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    the best hooks ive use for catfishin, is whisker stickers from strike king. and gamagatsu circle hooks