Got another one last day of the season.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by TDawgNOk, Dec 4, 2007.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I went out again on Sunday. Got to my tent stand about 5:30 in the morning. It was sprinkling and the temp was about 63 degrees. I was wearing a pair of jeans, with sweats pants over them, a long sleeve T-Shirt and a sweat shirt over it. I sat there waiting for the sun to come up. About 6:30 it started getting a little breezy and the bottom dropped out of the thermometer. I put on my gloves and a stocking cap, and sat and waited. It was very nice and peaceful. About 7:30 it got light enough to see, and I heard a shot off in the distance. Good I thought, that meant that the deer might be moving. I started getting chilled because the wind started picking up, but I continued to sit there and wait. About 8:00 I heard another shot, this one a little closer. At about 8:45 it was 40 degrees and the wind was blowing at least 20mph and gusting up higher than that. I decided to give it until 9:30 and then call it a day. I was getting miserably cold.
    At 9:00 I saw movement out of the tent window to my left. Ahhhh, here we go, 2 deer. No antlers, ok, which one is bigger. Ok, I turned in the folding camp chair I was sitting in and raised my 303 to my shoulder, ok, good shot, but, not what I wanted. The deer needed to turn just a little more. Dang, it turned the wrong way, if I shot now, I'd shoot it in the butt. I waited a few more seconds and it turned again and moved about 10 ft further to the left. I had to lean and turn to be able to aim and shoot it. Clear shot, deep breath, let half of it out, pull trigger...just as I pulled the trigger the chair slipped. I looked up and deer down, floppin around like a fish outta water. I quickly stepped out of the tent, ejected the spent shell and loaded another one. Took aim directly at the head, and fired. Ok, deer down and not moving.

Walked over to take a look, uh roh. Scott's gonna be mad *(scott is the guy who's land I was hunting on)* Turns out what I thought was a doe, was a button buck. I didn't even know how to tell the difference, *(I do now)*. I dragged deer, backpack and gun back to where Scott had dropped me off, and he came to pick me up. Luckily he wasn't too mad, just disappointed. Turns out the buck was a yearling that he had on trailcam video several times. It was 68 lbs dressed out which I did by myself. When I took the deer to the processor, I asked how I did on dressing out my 2nd deer and the skinner looked at me and said "Son, I wish everyone dressed one out this good. It'd make my job much easier." He then started showing me some of the basics of skinning one so that I can save that $10 next time.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on the 2nd deer ,Tony . Looks like ya got the freezer stocked up now.

3. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    that's a awsome story there , man your just all pumped up about this deer hunt'n. just wait to ya hunt turkey !!!!!!!!! glad to hear your enjoying this sport i love. kudos to ya TDawgNok

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Congrats on your second deer Tony!! Them little button bucks can fool ya at times. :big_smile:

5. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Congratulations on your second bambi Tony:smile2:. Better than what i am doing, I haven't even had the chance to go hunting enough to say i have been. Got one Question! When ya gonna cook up some supper for us?:big_smile:

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    EVERYONE DAWGS HOUSE THIS WEEKEND!:wink:
    CONGRADULATIONS ON YOUR SECOND I KNOW YOU WILL ENJOY FEASTING,LET ME KNOW IF YOU TRY SOMETHING AND IT IS EXTRA GOOD!
    TRY THE STEAK IN ITALION DRESSING IT IS DELICIOUS:wink:

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Oh, Tony, I think ya done it now. I for-see lots of cold mornings, maybe even some real hunting clothes & matching boots, just for hunting, nothing else....I think I also smell something in the crock pot....yup yer done. It's too late.
    :big_smile:

8. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Hey Tony,

Can I warm up now? You had me freezing right along with ya..lol. Congrats on your second Deer...

9. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice job Tony! Congrats!

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Nice job. It is hard, sometimes impossible to tell a button buck from a doe. The doe I got last year ended up being a button buck. Your not happy about taking a young buck, but it happens. That's why our tags are antler and antler less instead of doe and buck.

11. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats on your second deer! Sounds like you "earned" it! :wink:

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations Tony, sounds like your hooked for life now. You keep it up and you'll have to change your screen name to Tony Boone or TDOENOK:wink:. WTG Brother!!

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Ya want us to start calling you "Deerslayer" or "Uncas" or some such? LOL But congratulations - it probably saves about $75.00 on your meat bill.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    oh man that one will be tender, congrats tony.

15. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    WTG Tony!
    Please excuse my ignorance but does "button buck" mean a young buck or a buck that never grows antlers?

Jaime