Got an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6000 of some sorts

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Zebco 33, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    First off, I want to thank everyone who has replied to my post on reels and rods. Everyone's input really helped me.

I half way decided on a spinning outfit for cats. But I changed my mind for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted a good med action rod over a med/heavy rod. I go after more "eatables" in the 2 to 5 pound range. But I can hook up with a decent sized one at Rend at anytime. So I settled on 15 pound test as a good start. And second, I couldn't find a bigger spinning reel around here to save my life! I really don't want to order on line without some hands on. I settled on a Shimano reel, the Baitrunner series, or the Sedano series, but could only find the FX series at a sporting goods store. I did find an Ugly Cat Stick, eight footer, to go with it, but I really wanted a better reel to start off with. And I felt a little like it was "overkill" for the cats I fish for.

Well, after I struck out at Dunn's, I went over to Wally World to look for some pumkins the hoodlums at smash in the streets. I went over to the fishing section to get some line for the kids reels, when I saw this Abu combo. Its got a MADE IN SWEDEN 6000 reel with a bait clicker switch on the left hand side. And it comes with a BERKLEY med/heavy seven foot LIGHTNING ROD, that I think is a pretty nice rod. I got it for $67. They had a 5600CBX combo with a six and a half foot rod for $59. I choose the bigger reel and the fact it was made in Sweden and not China. I picked up some RED CAJUN 17 pound test line to practice with.

I got some line on it, too much at first, and since have gotten REALLY good at backlash fixing. I'm still learning how to adjust the spool tension, but I think I'll got it set up for a 3/4oz lure setup.

The rod has stainless steel guides. Is this good? The last time I was "into" fishing and reading up on the newest and best, ceramis guides was teh way to go. I figure they SS guide work better for braided line, but I've been wrong before. I figure I can upgrade to a US PRO LITE if I don't like this one and put a ZEBCO OMEGA on the BERKLEY for my daughter.

Jerry

2. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Congrats on the new outfit sounds like a nice choice.:big_smile:

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on the 6000 combo, you made a good choice.

4. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    After thinkin gabout it all night at work, I was just about to pack the combo up and take it back. I kept worrying about the backlash thing. But, when I got home this morning, I took it out and adjusted the spool tension to the prper weight of the lure, and I was 10 for 10 on over forty yard casts across the road and into my neighbor's yard! I guess it was buyer remorse.

But, I'm going to have to find a bigger rod. I use slip floats that are weighted and then add the 3/4 to 1 oz sinker, so I need a rod with some backbone. I found both the Berkley BIG GAME rod and the UGLY STICK CATFISH in 7 footers only. The Berkley is a two piece and has bigger eyelets, so the float stops shouldn't hang up badly. I'm going over to Carbondale to Dick's and see what they have in longer rods. I WILL buy a rod from either Calbela's or BPS if I have to get what I want.

Look's like I'm "stuck" with a nice rod and no reel. Guess I'll have to get that OMEGA Z03 that my daughter was looking at for her cat setup!

BTW, on my 11th cast, birdnest! I got cocky and took too much tension off the spool. I am getting better at keeping my thumb off the spool until needed. And I think the skin should grow back soon!

Jerry

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    You got yourself a good reel there. I bought one of those combo's from Wally World and I love it.Only thing is I use heavier weight that you. I'm more in the 3 oz range. Very seldom have a birdsnest with it with that amount of weight. I may be wrong but 3/4 0z sounds awful lite for that type of reel.JMHO.
    Rod wise I went to Wally World bought one of those 19.97 combos took the reel off and used the rod with the 6000. It's a 7 ft Catfish rod. seems to work real well for me anyway.Plus I have an extra reel if needed.
    Keep praticeing you'll get used to it and when you do YOU'LL LOVE IT!!

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I also have a 6000 and Mr.R is right ....think your a wee bit light

7. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Oh yea, that about half to a third of my rigged slip float weights. I was just practicing in the yard and didn't want to kill anyone with s 1/4th of a pound flying across the neighborhood! LOL I'm in the two and half to three ounce range with the rig. Anything less and I can't get that sucker out there from the bank at Rend.

Thanks all, Im really starting to like this reel and looking at the bigger 7000 series! I might be talking out of both sides of my mouth, but I'm willing to take samller fish on this outfit. Its a nice reel.

Jerry

8. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I have one of the combos like what you bought at wally world. I have used it about three years now and I like it a lot. It was the first baitcast style reel that I had ever used. A buddy of mine kind of turned me onto them and he helped me get it adjusted and learn to use it. Now I have three of the reels. The one on the combo is still there then I also have two that are on 8ft ugly cat rods. They seem to be a pretty decent match for the 6000 reels. I have caught quite a few in the 20lb range on them and didnt have any problems.
    All I can say is practice, practice, practice. I, like you, have spent a lot of time in the yard with mine. About put out a window when I was first learning but thats a whole nother story.

9. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Very good choice of a reel, nothing wrong with the rod except that it is probably not heavy enough for catching really big fish. The reels are awesome, I have four of the 6000's and would not take anything for them. rspd507

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I have 2 of the wally world 6000/lightning rod combos. They are great, one of mine I pulled out of the water after I snagged it. It looked like it had been in there for awhile, I took it apart and cleaned and oiled well and it works great.
    Chip

11. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Chip, I was looking for that one! I'll send you my mailing address! LOL

I'm glad to here thay can take some abuse.

I'm trying to find a good rod for it know.

Jerry

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if you got a cabelas around you should check out a 9' whuppin stick or a 9' king kat. both are good rods and cabelas stands by them. i perfer the kk because of the foam handels and white blank. the 6000 sized reels fit them well and will handel bigger fish.

13. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I think whoever lost that combo was having a bad night, I also caught a cheapo spinning combo and part of an older reel from the same spot that night. I have my abus on 8 ft berkley power rods.
    Chip