Got a spoonbill today

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by on_the_fly, Mar 14, 2006.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well I have been waiting and I couldnt help my self the river here is up to 33.78 feet and I just had to go I ended up with one spoon and four carp and puled carp scales off my hook 6 times all in about an hour and a half. the spooner weighed in at 14 lbs. now that babys soking in lemon juice for the night and I am havin spoon for dinner tomarrow.

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Awesome! Let me know how you cook it up and how it turns out.

I'm still looking for the perfect way to cook up spoonie fillets.

Any pics?

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Good job! Where are you from?
    I went out with a buddy for a couple of hours this afternoon but, we didn't get any spoonies.

We too removed several large carp scales from our hooks. The only fish caught were 1 shad, 2 drum (1 about 5 lbs), & 4 walleye. Unfortunately, IL. law prohibits the keeping of walleye & most other fish that are snagged.
    3 of the 4 walleye are probably going to die. 1 was very small & was hooked all the way through it's body, 1 nice female had eggs falling out of her & one other had it's intestines hanging out.
    It makes me angry that we had to waste these fish by throwing them back! IL. need to get a clue! :mad:

Eric

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    we do to here in ky if you foulhook any sport fish it must be released. they were every were yesterday didnt get to go today but I am going in the morning tomarrow.

5. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Man that is always a shame, but I don't think you will find many states that allow you to keep snagged gamefish. 2 weeks ago we gut hooked a small blue, and had to turn him lose although we would have rather cleaned him, since his survival chances were slim.

It's a shame that the poachers and liers force game departments to make stupid laws to protect the greater body of fish.

6. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    Some brothers and I are going down to good ol' Meyer,Illinois to try out snagging for once. We hope to get a spoony. Maybe I'll see you down there Eric?

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Congrats on the catch. The last spoons that I caught were smaller ones(5 to 8 pounds) and I cooked the fillets on the george foreman. Man they were great. I usually just fry them in cornmeal, but I might grill them more often. Vern

8. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    The last time i cooked my spoonies. I cooked them on the grill. I cut up onions, bell peppers and mushrooms. Then I loaded on the butter and seasoning put them on the grill untill they were kinda flakey. Man they were execlent. Just make sure u dont cook them to long or they will get a rubbery texture.

9. catstalker

catstalker New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Here in my area in around april a lot of people start sucker snagging in the creeks. This is becoming very popular in certain areas. I know a small community where alot of the farmers go out every year and fill up grass sacks full of suckers. They are very good eating if you know how to clean them.

10. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yea those suckers are real good eatin' if you do em right.Score em when you clean them then deep fry.You can eat bones and all that way.They melt in your mouth.

11. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I wanna go snagging for spoonies, but there is no open season on the Missouri River in Iowa... sigh.... maybe someday I'll take a trip down to Missouri or Oklahoma to do some snaggin.

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ended up with another spoon today and for the first time a big headed carp man what a fight. I got a flathead cat 12#s spoon 27.5#s and the big head was 64#s

13. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good job, i had some fun today on the river i caught my first 2 spoonbill the big one was 4 lbs, but that is actualy a small one from what i hear. It's a big one for me though.