Got a river fishing question

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Montgomery, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    tried fishing a few different spots today. and i must say they either road closed or the river was just moving to fast. i have been fishing a shallow dackwash in a bend in the river. out of main current. and did ok . but i tried fishing in the heavy current and just could see catching anything in it. does any one fish the high hard current . meanign just cast out right in the heart of the rushing river. my poles were getting pulled so hard. i couldn't amagine cathing anything in that. does anyone else fish in this condition. if so. give some tips. also one more guestion . i fish the stillwater and great miami . smalle rivers. and i'm trying to learn how to read a river and pin point places i think they might hold. now theres always tress and logs or somthing . all along the river. out about from 2 to 10 feet out into the river. big snaggs. in the shallllows. should i put my bait near these snags. my guestions is because around me the river is shallow pretty much. so those snags are in like 2 to say 3 foot of water. i just feel like i'm casting to close to the back to catch fish in. i dont know i prolly dont make any since. lol thanks guys

2. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    you dont need deep water to catch big fish...and as far as the current goes..im sure there are fish in it, but i always fish eddies and banks with less current than the main river body when the river is at top flow. your baitfish wont want to be in that rushing water, but rather in the stiller water behind log jams, boulders, or other structure. the catfish will be in these spots too. and if you can find a feeder creek with slower water coming into the river....oh goodness will there be fish there...hope i helped

3. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
  4. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/uv?03274000

Mike,

Check out a stream gage close to you, like the one above. You can look back 31 days to see relative river level and flow. Some have Temp as well. Compare the level and flow to the days you have the best catch. You'll even get so you can predict how much the river will rise based on rainfall, and how fast it will fall to your ideal level and flow, too. Go to the home page on that site for a complete Ohio map and click the dot closest up or downstream from your spot.

Most of the GMR we fish is 1 1/2 to 4 ft deep and we catch plenty of flats and channels, mostly among the rock and snags. Cats want structure. Find a hole in an outside bend that's deeper. You have to be patient for the big fish, and try a variety of live and cut baits.

If you're down in the Hamilton area, look me up.

Dennis

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Several of us fish the Mississippi River in the main current, We use depth finders to locate the holes with fish in them and fish those holes. You can also fish off wing dams or blow outs of the wing dams. Look where the bank has caved in, these is usually a good hole there. There have been times we have had to use 16 oz of lead to hold the baits to the bottom, most time 8 and 10 will work.
    Also check around sand bars and where feeder rivers or streams come in.

6. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Mike,
    once you locate a hole on the main river, slowy go back and forth to get a picture of whats below. The best area to fish is usually the head of the hole. You will want your baits to drop over the ledge if you can find it. After figuring out how far above the hole you need to set your boat for you baits to end up in the right area, depending on the current, it can be tricky getting your anchor set in the right area. In heavy current, my anchor usually drags a way before it catches. Sometimes, it can take up to an hour to get your boat anchored right where you want it but well worth the effort. Then a string of barges comes along and you half to power the boat up to keep from getting swamped. Of course, this upsets the anchor and you get to start all over...lol Good Luck!

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Mike, since you are dealing with Channel cats and the rare flattie in Dayton or above, I would try these areas at certain time sof the year, in Winter ( which we are stil in but slowly climbing out of, fish slower deep water where they dont have to fight the current, then in Spring, fish the shallow water near the deeper water and by late spring, fish the faster water , (think spawning gravel) and then in early summer durringt eh spawn, fish tend to start migrating towards structures so then your logs and cut banks will be good and that tends to be the best through the summer until fall and then they move out to the moving waters again to feed before retiring back to wintering holes, Key is if they are not where you are looking for them, keep moving. Late Spring/early summer they will be bunched up real good then in winter or late summer, they tend to be 1 here and 1 there,
    Salmonid

8. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alot of times, just past that hard current there will be a deep hole. The big cats sit in that hole past the current waiting for the baitfish to be pushed thru the current into that hole and they feed there. It is where you will find em. Also, you can try like 5oz sinkers to keep your line on bottom in the current if you choose to fish in it. Be sure to rig your line to where the 5oz sinkers sit on bottom and your bait is left floating about 6 inches off bottom. Works real well.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The only fast "whitewater" you shoul spend your fishing time on is under a lowhead dam or a natural waterfall. These types will have a scour hole underneath which is a hole. Shallow upstream , deeper water downstream. If the river is up and going fast thru a flat or a run you are wasting your time. The scour hole under a dam has the whitewater going over the top fast, but if you can keep the "bow" out of your line and reach bottom the current is slack down there. Its the bow in your line and the current on top that pulls your sinker and bait out. If you can stand facing the current and cast into it and start reeling in the slack as your rig comes downstream, most times it will stay cause there is less drag on your line if its at a straight angle upstream and back to your position. If you cast straight upstream the river only has a couple millimeters of line to push aginst. If you cast across river the river has 40 yards of line to push aginst. Do you get what I'm trying to say? Any way I hope this helps.

10. wolfman1999

wolfman1999 New Member

State:
    wv
    only time i fish fast moving is in the summertime at the head or foot of a shoal never catch any big ones like that,,early in the spring i like to fish deep water that goes to shallow if we have a few warm days,,but mostlyduring this time of year its deep water for me hope this helps and hello im a new member but in my family catfishing starts when you can hold a pole,,, and cut bait lol

11. uglykat26

uglykat26 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i fish right below pike island damn i use 2 one ounce egg sinkers it rolls but not that much . i put a small split shot above the hook about 3 inchs and clampo it down as hard as i can so that way if the hook get snagged i can still keep my sinkers i have hooked into some mega cats out there but couldnt get them in cause i was using to small of line i had one break my pole and my 7s pound braided line so yes there are biguns out there in the main current

12. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Mark!

13. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Go with what everyone is saying! I just caught my first and second channels tonight fishing the edge of fast current in high water levels. They both were right near the edge.

14. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yep, they sit right past that current waitin for those baitfish, as i said before :)