got a question for you guys....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by crazyKat, Nov 20, 2007.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ok. i been hunting for large fish. yesterday i found a spot on the ohio river. it was a creek and at the mouth of it it was about 36 feet deep. i pulled the boat up ancored and fished for about 1 hr. had several bites and caught 3 small blues and couple channels. maybe 1 to 2 pounds a piece. my question do big cats swim with small or if im catching only small in 1 hr should i move? help me out

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Good question, IMO, the time of year is going to make a bit of a difference, I have set and caught fish from 1-2# and then 30 minutes later stick a 15-20# flat, then maybe a 10# blue. that being said it also was and do change up the bait size type presentation, My opinion is that there are fish of many different sizes in that hole, especially this time of year. Looking forward to reading others thoughts on this , good question.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Just yesterday we caught about 18 blue cats out of the same hole. smallest was about 5 lbs and the biggest was 26 lbs with a few in the 11-13 pound range. Most were in the 7-10 pound range

4. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i wasnt in henderson. i was down toward lewisport. probably not the same hole. so if they are only 1 pounders should i move on or do the big swim with the small or are the small afraidthey will get eaten?

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    This is a good topic! I found that as long as I'm catching keeper size cat's I'll stay on them. But when I pull in a hole and I catch nothing but the little 6" to 10" fish that's all I catch in that hole so I'll move on after I get one or two in. Now flatheads I find I little different. I 've thrown out and land a 25lb fish and the next bite is a 4 lb fish and then another 20lb one. You never know, but usually after three to five fish in a hole it's time to move. I have never caught a really small flathead. I guess a 12" one is the smallest I have ever got. I don't know if the little guys stay in groups or not when they are little. Someone else on here might know more.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think the small flat head are often confused with mud cats and smaller catfish. Nothing is really distinctive until they approach the 15 to 16 inch range. Watch the fish at bass pro. They'll stick in a bunch of smaller fish who swim right up to the larger fish, think nothing about it. All of a sudden they scatter and the big fish starts eating. Like there is some sort of telepathy going on. LOL

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have caught small flats with big flats. i never catch small channels with big flats though.lol

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    In the large clear water springs and sinks of Florida,Georgia and South Carolina,we would see fish of all sizes and species mixed.Unfortunately,many of these are only a memory as industry,city and rural ground water use has slowed or completely stopped most in my lifetime.I am 62.I often wonder how they survived as ground water has little Oxygen.They adapted somehow.Perhaps the cool steady 65 degree year round water temperature slowed their metabolism.They also seemed to have more fish in them in very cold and very hot times.Often where they ran and mixed into rivers,streams or lakes the fishing would be awesome at times.Most in the cool spring water would not bite anything we tried.Also,they seemed to spook easy.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm sure big cats and small cats are together sometimes. My advice if you want to catch larger fish is to use larger hooks and baits. Use baits that a 1 or 2 pounder can't get down. You will still get bites from the small fish but they can't eat the bait. If there is a bigger fish with them, then it should find your bait too. You won't catch as many fish this way but the ones that do get hooked should be larger. I'm not sure what kind of bait you're using, but big chunks of fresh cutbait will work for big blues. Good luck fishin'.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jody, Lot's of good info here. Just don't be so quick to abandon that hole. It might be a less desireable hole that the big fish have pushed the small fish into. Or it may be the honey hole for the big fish that the bravest of the little guys are hovering around the edges. You need to fish it a few times, (and this is the most important part), Place your baits in every possible section of the hole. Flatheads in winter will not move more than 5ft or so to take a bait. Channels will move alot farther, and Blues are roaming all winter, if you know where the shad or skipjack are, you will find the blues right under them.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i agree with theise guys keep fishing it. a 30-40ft hole in front of a creek sounds like a sweet spot. do what theise guys are telling you bigger baits different baits and move them around in the hole.