Got a question about my reel..... help

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CatSlayer715, Sep 10, 2009.

1. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    First of all, i want to say that if this isnt the right section for this thread, then i appologize.

Now.. i got a Quantum Iron IR435CX reel. When i bought it off the net, i didnt know that it didnt have a line guide carrier. These werent made with one. With that being said, i do not know how to use this style baitcaster. How do you get the line to spool properly when putting the line on it and when i am reeling in a fish?? Do you have to cast it differently? I basically have never used nor seen a baitcaster with no line guide carrier. I want to use is this weekend and i dont want to waste any line jacking it up b/c i dont know how to use it. HELP!

2. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    You have to use one hand and guide the line on. My king mackeral reels have no level wind on purpose and you will get use to guiding it on without even watching. It will cast the same as any other reel! Good luck!

3. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    do you hold the rod from the bottom side and use your thumb and index finger to go back and forth or something?? This seems like a dumb design for a reel and a pain in the neck to use... im very discouraged..:sad2:

4. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    You making a mountain out of a mole hill It is so simple a caveman could do it :big_smile: Guide it on with your thumb just like you said it will become natural Also without the level wind it will throw better and farther

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  5. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    how can you guide it on properly when youre burning up the reel with a fish on?

6. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I have Penn 155s. No level line guides.
    When battling a fish, put the butt of the rod about your beltline.
    Left hand around forward rod handle.
    Use your thumb to guide line one way then the other.
    You can buy a butt rest harness or look at one and make one yourself.
    An old belt, extra piece of leather and a bottle cap big enough for the rod butt.

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Take my word for it, it's not a big deal, especially on a reel for catfish. They don't make "drag burning" runs. Once you get into reels for BIG game fish, none of them have a levelwind. You're thumb doesn't get burned, and those big game fish would eat a 100lb blue for breakfast.:wink: Levelwinds are convenient, and that's about it. If it's not there, one less thing to break or perform maintence on.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    this is the easyest way to go about it with the line in between the thumb and index then rock your thumb back and fourth like you would your legs on a swing easy as pie the hard part is rembering witch reel doesent have the level wind and rembering to do it

Attached Files: