Got a question about kids and fishing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by mudkat, Nov 1, 2006.

1. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    do you guys think its important that kids learn how to fish because ive been trying to get my friends to come fishing with me and they wont ..but i kno if they came they would love it...so far ive only got one of my friends to like it and he loves it as much as i do!!!!!!let me now if you guys have any comments

2. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    kids have just too many other things to do anymore i guess.
    too much tv, computers, video games, cell phones, internet, ... etc.
    i think the parents need to get kids involved early(5-7 years old) in fishin, but they dont take the time anymore because of work, tv, computers, cell phones, internet,... etc. lol.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Fishing is a great activity that every kid shold learn. It is fun and maybe even more importantly; it teaches them a respect and love for the outdoors-which will be vital when it's your turn to be in charge of this planet! so keep trying to take other kids, they will eventually catch on to how awesome it is!

4. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ryan, yup! I think it's very important that kids get outside and find something they enjoy besides bein spuds attached to a computer or video game :wink: Unbelievable as it is to me, though, not all kids are gonna enjoy fishing as much as I did when I was their age. We have a 10 year old boy who is just not really into fishin, but he does have fun on his skateboard and with other outdoor activities. He did have alot of fun jiggin for bass, but to sit and wait for a bite from a catfish... I think maybe he just doesn't have the patience.

I do hope your friends will give fishing a chance! They sure won't know if they never try! Keep encouraging them and maybe they'll have a change of heart :smile2: Good luck!

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes thats it. Back in my day. Fishing and stuff like that was the thing to do for fun. We rode bikes or walked for miles to camp and fish. Time or 2 we ate our catch while there, before heading home.

If you can get your friends to go fishing and catch a few, they most likely will like it.
    Good way to get people/kids turned on to fishing is bait catching. Bream/Blue gill fishing on light rig. They are fun to catch and not hard to catch. one cut up worm can catch dozen. LOL.

We have sit on bank , talking etc catching one right after another just for fun. Throw em back, have eaten a few and good bait.

Most people and kids are busy these days and have too many other things going on.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Ryan I think it's important for kids to learn how to be happy & have a positive outlook on life. I think you kid; are well on your way. Pursue what makes you happy. Take along and go with the people who make you happy. If you love the outdoors and enjoy people you ought to check out the Boy Scouts. They been around a long time & think you will make new friends who enjoy the same things as you. Great place to learn woods craft..lots of things that go hand in hand with fishing. Keep yer old friends too. Can't have too many.

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Half of the time I think my kids have more fun then I do. For me it is so much more fun to watch my kids play then it is really to fish. I think the main point is to have fun and worry about fishing later. So yes I think all kids sould go fishing once or twice..who knows they might get hooked.

8. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    well i take my son and daughter with me all the time and they love it so kids and fishing go hand in hand if ya ask me

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have the same trouble, trying to get my friends to go fishing. My neighbor who is also my best friend goes with me sometimes, but he doesn't enjoy it as much as I wish he did. I guess it's just not for everyone, I hate to see people my age always doing something on thier cell phone, I mean how they can find so much to do on such a small and simple device?:lol:

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    sometimes when kids and grownups as well havent really tried something
    or have a fear of failure at something they tend to not be interested or act un-interested in something sort of like useing it as
    an excuse to hide the fact that they might not be good at it.

maybe you could try coaxing by inviteing them to a day at the lake
    and take bikes or a frisbee ,football baseball etc. and POLES LOL
    maybe fish a little and play a little .
    i would almost bet that if they caught a decent sized fish they would be stoked on the idea more and you just might gain a life long fishing buddy.
    it cant hurt to try.

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

12. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    YES! By all means take a kid fishing, but take them somewhere they are certain to catch fish the first few times. Odds are they will learn a lot more than fishing as time goes on. good luck and good fishing:cool2:

13. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    After giving it some thought by all means if you can get one to go do it but if you could get enough fish and have a few friends over for a meal with them then talk about the fun of catching them it might help either way don't give up

14. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    And that's a fact Jack