Got a question about flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Montgomery, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i really want to catch my first flat head this year. and there is this very old gravel pit. i'd say 75 years old. it is also very very deep. say close to 60 foot or more. also the river floods into it every year.and the water gets crystal clear. but all i have ever caught was 3 channel last summer. they just wont bite . well have caught giaint carp by the dozens. lots of fun. but anyway . they used to stock it very heavy with big flatheads. and have heard stories of the big cats in it. i havn't found shallow water in it yet. even though you can take small boats on it. i am bank riddin for now. well i havn't found any difference in watrer depth. but dont know if i should use a float for the flatheads or on bottom. some spots its like right off the bank straight down in places. and other spots are slightly a down slope. i quess i'm rambiling on to much here . but i really want to catch a flathead this year. and i'm looking for any advice on a place like i'm discribing. there are a few trees in the water. that i can see from the banck. right close to the banck they are . i never get snagged on anything . its just like a big deep odd shaped bowl .so shallows not much structure. so i really cant find the cats anywere. i dont have a clue on the flatheads. any help? anyone want to take me fishin

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Never fished anything like that..so don't know if I'll be of much help, but you're about to get my opinion anyway...:cool2: When you say the river floods into it, is there a waterway like a creek that spills over into it, or does it just run over the edge? Eitherway, when that river's up and dumping into that pit, fish it right there. Downed trees are good...very good. Maybe toss a float in there with some livebait...whatever kinda bait is in that specific pit, or flows over into it, use it. If the bank so happens to be undercut from current as it washes in, that's also a spot to check out. For night, find where their food is. baitfish = flathead...or fish in general for that matter. And I'd be guessing where it kinda slopes off is where the bait will be. There and in the trees. If nothin' produces in there...then maybe you should just try the river...lol. Anyway, 'luck with the flatty cattin'.

-Red

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    IF, and you notice it is a big if, there are flat heads in there, it is doubtful you will get them to bite in day light, especially with clear water. Take a small pole and some worms out there, fish right off the bank, and notice where it is you are catching perch or small fish. Get some bait, come back to the pit after dark (or just before dark if you want to set up in day light) and bait your cat poles out with perch or small fish, and fish them right where you caught them previously. Do Not use any lights, if you can help it... that's not natural in their environment. The cats will hunt for food, and normally it will be small fish around the bank. Just vary the depth slightly and you'll find the fish.

If this fails, find out who it was that told you they stocked flat heads in the pit and give them a piece of your mind.

4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Do just what this guy say and you will catch a flathead but I can tell you one thing you need a big fishing pole to bring a bigflat up don't use your perch pole he will show you who is boss

5. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    that doesnt sound like a good place for ctching flatheads you would probaly do better in the river that floods it find a log jam or some logs in the water or a root wad fish with live bait blugill or goldfish seem to work best. fish at night and target in the shallows the fletteis will feed best at night .Good luck

6. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    what size hook ,bobber and sinker would you all start with . now this is my first year ever trying to fish for them. so rookie all the way. and fish alone so really no one else to learn from there mistakes.

7. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    hey mike i'm right there with ya i've never really tried to catfish for flatties before besides noodling but i would fish around for baitfish and wherever you catch them, use that same fish for bait in that spot and fish it at night thats about all i can tell you

8. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    for live bait i use khale 8/0 circle hooks. set your bait clicker to maximum and when line is getting ripped out, wait about 15 seconds, turn off the baitclicker, and start to reel cause that fish will already have hooked himself. as far as a rig for the lake your talking about i would use a carolina rig and throw it out between the area you caught your baitfish
    Hope this helps ya
    Ryan

9. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    use a 8 to 10 Circle hook with a 3 to 4 ounce bank weight . try a 3 way swevil and tie your leader for the hook between 12 to 18 inches cast from 3 to 5 feet deep. Hook you bait through the meat part of the tail make sure you dont hit backbone you want them to be lively.It will be to dark to try and watch a float and your bait will probally drg it around and dont be scared to use a hand size bluegill or a 6 inch goldfish.hope that helps you

10. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    submerged timber is your best for flats most striper pits dont have flats theres probably a good chance there not in there but you said it runs off from the river so it seems they would be in there. My advice is fish the river with live bait because you usually normally catch channels in stripper pits.

11. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Where in ohio do you live? I think i might know what gravel pit your talking about.

12. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i live just north od dayton some . moving to huber heights

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you have access to this place when the river is up and running into it fish right where the river runs in.live bait works good but if you can dig some earthworms you will slay them.if they are there.

14. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    cool, i live about 25 mins west of miamisburg. Maybe we can fish the GMR sometime.

15. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    in my opinion, i would go big float, 9/0 tru turn hook, and 5" perch or whatever bait u caught outta the hole.
    do jst like 1st said and fish right where u caught the bait.
    i would put the bait about 2' deep, cast where it needs to be set clicker and repeat with as many poles and bait that u have