Got a question about circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by field989, Jul 7, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    hey i cought a 23lb channel on a 7/0 circle hook and it came out in the eye of the fish

that really made me mad..

why did it do this to this fish and not to a 10lb flattie....

this made me think about not using circles anymore and just go back to the o'shaugnessy hooks

thanks in advance

Jeff

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

It maybe just a fluke. Sometimes if you can't help it. the fish may have swallowed the entire bait deeply are turned to get to the bait. any number of things.

3. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Maybe try a smaller size hook.

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i dunno

cause it didnt do it to the 10lb flattie.....
    that lost me...
    thanks though

5. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    well jeff, i would say its all how u hook ur bait and how the fish takes it into its mouth when ur rod loads up, hope this helps

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well how would u suggest rigging up a gill head or whole gill with a circle

and the rod is tight lined and in a rod holder.....

but the whole gill i will hook in the back behind that fin

7. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have heard of this happening to others on the BOC, but it has never happened to me even once. Choice is yours on the circles.

8. Catatonic Chronic

Catatonic Chronic New Member

State:
    Johnson City, New York
    Any number of variables might have done it. I used to have the same problem when I used too big of a hook, it occured less often after I stepped down a size. I also noticed it happened more often on moving waters.

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I would guess that he inhaled the bait. What would have happened had you not used a circle hook? He may have swallowed it ALL the way down.

10. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Fishing is a contact sport, sometimes fish get hurt. Yeah it sucks, but what are you going to do, stop fishing? These things happen, it's just part of the playing the game. It can happen no matter what hooks you use.

11. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    It may just be me, but I have never hooked a cat on a J hook. I encourage the use of the O'Shaugnessy hooks (or Gamakatsu Octopus, my favorite) as opposed to circles around my area. I find circles work ok, but they are too high maintenance, and when a fish does get hurt, he gets hurt bad.

Just my two cents.

12. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    the hook you were usin was more appropriately sized for the 10lb flatty i believe.....the huge channel probably managed to get more of the bait in its mouth(bigger mouth) before setting the hook on itself

13. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    what i usually do when i fish with a circle hook (VERY RARELY) i will take a gill and hook it almost in the tail, then on one side of it i take either a hook or knife and kinda descale him just a little on one side behind his gills down from his top "dorsal". this seems to work for me at catching them, but i usually use.. i dont really know what they are called, J hooks with a slight bend to them... the best i have found so far! Knock on wood

14. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Jeff;
    I think it's a good thing when a Brother, or Sister, show such compassion towards the other life forms on our planet. There may be hope for the human race yet!
    Having said that however, I'm afraid I am going to have to go along with what Brother John/EsoxJohnny, said about the situation.
    Your human, most of the rest of us are too. You will find as you live through the years that things happen, no matter if hunting, fishing, during your lifetime, or sometimes just driving down the road!, that you have no control over!
    For all you know, if you had been using another different hook, it might have come up through the brain and maybe killed the fish!!:sad2:
    You know, there are a million things we can have in this world and a hundred million we cannot have. Just the same, there are many things we can control, some completely, some to a point, and some not at all.
    If trying a different hook makes you feel better then by all means, please do it. But I don't think that changing a hook is going to change the outcome of things all that much. If you try it, and it does change everything then you let me be the FIRST to know!
    This is a family channel so I will have to abbreviate this but, S*IT HAPPENS in life! Sometimes it's small, sometimes it's really LARGE, and most of the time, somewhere inbetween. You don't have to like it, but you usually have to live with it.
    I can understand your anger! I too, would be upset if I was in your shoes! I have had things like this happen to me in my life and Trust Me On This One; It's NO fun! Never Is!!
    I cannot tell you what to do, other than to do whatever it takes to get yourself past this issue. If you think about it, it could have been much worse!! Like I described above. But whatever you do, Please, DON'T let it stop you from fishing!
    I don't know your religious beliefs, but you might consider praying about the "problem" and seeing what kind of answer you get. Other than that, and whatelse I've said, I have no other answers or suggestions.
    I hope something in what I have said helps you. I truely do!
    "Hoping YOU Find Your Answer Soon."
    Sincerely and Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

15. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    A couple weeks ago i was using some small live minnows that i had caught with my cast net. I caught a few catfish, but on one of them that i was using a 5/0 shiner hook, i caught a 14 1/2 inch smallmouth. The big hook pierced the gills and the fish was bleeding badly....it was under the 15 inch limit..and i am certain that fish did not survive...
    I felt pretty bad about it....i put on another minnow and casted back out.

Stuff happens..not much you can really do about it other than to quit fishin :sad2: I'm not willin to do that as long I am able to continue fishin

cyas
    rc

16. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I am going to venture to guess that you are using rather large circle hooks...

You don't have to use that big of hooks... circle hooks are meant to sink deep into the skin and "circle in" so that they stay there... you can get by with a smaller hook because of the way they are designed!!!

17. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    so should i use a 4/0 circle... cause i like to use them but i dont want the fish to be called ole one eye.....

but i will give them one more chance if it happens again... no more circles!