Got a Penn 209 yesterday

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Louie, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    Just got my Penn 209 in the mail yesterday. I got it off ebay for $7.95 plus 7.00 shipping. I bought a Berkley 7 foot medHvy big game rod the other day hoping it would be a good fit. They seem to work fine together [​IMG]. I put about 3 ounces of lead on and went outside and made a few casts and all is good. The line that came on it is old I am sure ,its a green and white looking string type line. Whatever it is it is super strong and it does not appear to be any of the recent braided lines I have seen. One question I have is there is some of green oxidation on the foot and worm cover. Any tips on what to use to clean it up ? Also there is a screw that says spare pawl. I unscrewed it and there is something which I guess it the pawl in the screw. What is this used for ? and where on the reel is it ? Any way I will get it wet tomorrow I am sure and hope to catch a good one. I still am not sure if I should leave the line that's on it or switch to some cajun red that I have on my Abu 6000.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    You got a good deal for the reel Dave.
    I would say the line is braided dacron. It will work but will cast better once you put some mono on it. 20# test seems to work the best on them but I have used up to 40# once you get use to casting them. The spare pawl came with some of them, it goes on the level wind, where your line goes thru there's a screw that holds the pawl. They are prone to wear out with time so it's good to have a extra.
    Clean it up and keep it oiled and it will last you a long time. I use Reel Magic spray and about any reel oil will work. I have 6 of them and even if they break it's cheap to have them fixed again.
    Hope you catch a Hawg.....

3. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You got a reel good deal on that one. What I have used to clean the green stuff off is a mixture of vinegar and baking soda let it fizzle and let the parts set for overnite in the mixture and clean with an old toothbrush.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep good deal! if you have wd-40 and an old tooth brush the green should come rite off. its from being used in saltwater and should be cleaned off asap as it will eat away at the metal over time. i had dacron on a 309 i had a long time ago, so i cant really remeber but i dont think it backlashed as bad as the mono :confused2: just a matter of perferance.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great buy on the reel and like it was said keep it cleaned and it will last and be sure to buy u some Penn lube and lube it

Good luck fishing

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on a great deal and good luck once you get it out on the water

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on finding a great buy. Those 209s are a good workhorse reel. As already stated, keep the reel well maintained and it will last for a long time.

8. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    That is a great deal on a 209, assuming it is in reasonable condition... The green corrosion will come off quite nicely with a mixture of white vinegar and baking soda and an overnight soak... The foam you get is a bonus....

The pawl is used on the level wind and is the part that rides in the grooves on the level wind spindle... The points on the pawl ride the grooves and that makes the level wind actuate back and forth across the front of the reel. If you pull a 209 schematic off the internet you will see exactly what I am talking about.

Great deal on a great reel! Good luck.

9. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    im getting one off of ebay also, but for $25 and 6.95 for shipping
    Also a new trophy collection abu garcia 6500 (Blue) for $98 and a new 6600 for $46 i think.. Hope i recieve them..:eek:oooh:

10. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    Okay , After a few trips with the 209, I am not sure if it is me being more familiar with my ABU's or what but I think I am either going to sell this and put the money towards a ABU or maybe I should just stick it out and keep using it. I don't seem to cast as well with it and it does not seem as smooth. Am I comparing apples and oranges here ? It defenitley seems like it is a more solid reel and can take 10 times more the abuse but I just don't seem to cast as well and the action does not seem as smooth. Any tips on this reel. Maybe I will just stick it out for a while longer. I heard so many good things that I had to try one so I did but so far I am still favoring my ambassaduers.

11. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I have cast Abu's and 209's, and if you are looking for a top distance casting reel, the 209 probably isn't it. In my opinion, the 209 is a workhorse of a reel and casts ok. If you are looking for a good distance casting workhorse, the Squidder or Jigmaster are the ticket. These do not have levelwind and use the "thumb brake" system to control backlash, but these babies will cast a mile and are as tough at the 209.

12. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    WTG!! Great purchase for a 209. If you look at your reel where the line goes through the level wind eye..flip it over and there are groves cut in the round bar that the level wind sits on and follows as you reel your line up or cast your line out. It's called a "worm Gear". There is a flat screw in the bottom of the level wind eye that holds the "pawl" in place. Be very careful and NEVER force the screw in when you remove/replace the pawl. Get some 3 in 1 oil and lube that often. As far as the "green" on the worm cover and posts it will get all over anything chrome including the spool that your line is on that's good old salts version of rust. The best policy I have found is keep your reel lubed and dry if you fish salt water. Good luck and if you ever want to get rid of it just PM me. I'm always looking for 209 parts and reels working or not.

Don

13. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I bought a couple of Penn 309's this year... they are great for trolling or off of bridges, but they don't cast well.

I am sticking to my garcias unless in the above mentioned situations.

Everything has a place and a purpose!!!

Good Luck

14. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I fish with abu 6000 6500 and 7000 all with clickers. I also have 2 penn 209.
    The penns will not cast with the abus but they cast ok . The penns are great
    for bumping bottom with heavy lead. One word of caution about the penns
    I don't let my wife fish with the penns, she has had her thumb burnt and
    her fingers mashed with the penn. When she got her fingers mashed I had to
    cut the line to get her free. Her fingers were wrapped around the spool and
    in the level wind and the handle was twisted in her shirt. If she had been
    alone she might have been dragged out of the boat. She was in a bad way.
    Unlike the abus when the penn is in free spool the handle will turn, you can
    take in line and let more line out with it in free spool. When you flip the
    lever it engages the same as turning the handle on the abus. My wife being
    used to the abus would forget to flip the lever. We were drifting in pretty
    good current and she hung up with 40# line she thumbed the spool trying
    to get it loose in the current the line got very tight but would not break
    when she could not hold it any longer she released the spool with her thumb
    and line started coming off very fast and the handle twisted in her shirt
    and caught her fingers in the spool and level wind. If you use good knots
    sometime 40# test line is hard to break. I use the penns you just have to
    be familiar with them and know how they work. The penns are good strong
    tough reels but they are not abus.

15. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    the 209 reels are good "workhorses"
    Mostly used for bottom fishing in the gulf.
    They make good flathead reels but re not made as a casting reel.

Good reels but you are the one who has to adapt. :wink: