Got a nice one yesterday evening.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jlingle, Oct 28, 2008.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I hunted over a little wheat patch yesterday evening on an old family place here in SW Oklahoma. I've never taken a good deer off this place, but I know they've been here. The first good one we ever saw there was about 15 years ago & he got hit by a car. After that, it was several years before anymore big bucks were spotted, but I learned how to hunt at this place. I shot my first deer there with a bow in '95 and I called up my first turkey there as well. I have other places that I hunt that hold much bigger bucks, but this place has always held a special place in my heart.

I intended to sit in a box blind there yesterday, but when I got there, the box had blown over. Bummer. So I just backed up in a tree row about 50 yards from the wheat and took a seat. It wasn't long before I saw a doe and a yearling come in, but something spooked them & they ran off. The doe was at least 100 yards directly upwind of me, so there's no way she winded me..... didn't know what to make of that one. Those were the only deer I saw until just before dark. I looked to the south, and saw a deer coming down off the hill, making his way my direction. I got the binos on him and saw that he was a shooter. I didn't have a shot in that direction because of all the brush on the ground between me and the deer, so I had to wait several minutes for him to get clear. He finally got clear of the brush, but started leaving the food plot. I grunted at him with my mouth to stop him & he complied nicely by stopping and turning back broadside, and I took a shot with my muzzleloader. I could tell immediately that he was hit hard. I tried to follow him with my binoculars to see him go down, but couldn't see him very well through the smoke from the shot. I thought he made it to the trees, so I took my time reloading & going to check for sign. I needn't have worried, because he was about 20 yards from where I shot him, piled up in the tall grass. He's a mainframe 8 with a broke brow tine, and he weighed in at over 200 lbs. Not a monster, and definitely not the biggest I've taken, but he's the best I've ever shot on this particular property & I'm very proud of him. My grandma would've been pretty excited to know that I'm seeing deer like this on the old family place.:wink:

Attached Files:

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    That is one heck of an awesome buck there brother!! :eek:oooh:

Picked out a place on the wall for him yet? :smile2:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I concur! Very nice indeed!
    Bill in SC

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Yeah I'm gonna european mount him and put him in my son's room. He's got quite a collection going for a 6 year old.:smile2: That all started a few years ago, he was with me when I shot a typical 12 and I put it on his wall. I created a monster, I guess. Now he thinks they all belong in his room. I have 3 mounts already in the living room, and mama won't let me put more in there anyway.

5. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Very nice indeed. Congrates

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice deer Jerrod. Looks like you are off and running

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Really great looking buck! Congrats on that one. Looks like your season is off with a "bang"! Be sure to let us see him once you get him mounted.

8. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    That is a nice buck. Congrats.

9. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Congrats. Thats one heck of a nice deer.

10. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    Nice buck congratulations!!!!

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Nice rack and a good weight. Thanks for the pics.

12. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Nice deer, and to get him on your family property! Thanks for the story and congratulations!

13. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
  14. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Congrats heck of a nice deer. Thanks for the pics and story.

15. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    sweet deer!! my boy would steal it from me too

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Great buck! Thanks for the story that goes with the pics . Also there is nothing like taking a mature deer off a place that already holds lifelong memories for you .

17. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That is a fine lookin' critter. Congrats!

18. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    congrats on a fine buck, thanks for sharing

19. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
  20. Poppa