Got a nice 8 point

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by TA2D, Dec 28, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Was out bird hunting last Friday, and I came across an 8 point that I couldn't live without. It was just there laying in the grass... I was thinking to myself this is too easy, way too easy. And low and behold I found a perfect 8 point skull (130-140 class) from last year laying untouched in some grass. I took it home and I am in the process of prepping it for a European style mount. I bleached it out and am now letting it air dry in my basement. For any of you taxidermy guys out there what can I do re-color the antlers, they were sun bleached white, I would like to have some of the natural color back in it, when I am done. BTW I will post pics in the next day or so.

Aaron

TA2D

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Aaron, I used regular wood stain on a set that was bleached once and they looked pretty good.

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Here are some pics of the 8 pointer

Aaron

TA2D

Attached Files:

4. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Aaron, I also used stain on some bleached antlers. The light toned stains look a little more realistic. I made the mistake of using some dark stain and it did not look natural. I also used plain clear polyurethene sp? on a set and it looked better than the dark. Good luck

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I like the white. Looks albino.

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I love the white; looks more authentic. How lucky that you found that. I've never found anything cool....well, a coyote skull once...but nothing like that!

7. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Thats a great find. Thanks for posting the pictures.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What a great find! They will add beauty to any wall.:big_smile:

9. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Aaron, you might want to check with Roger, at Midwest Taxidermy in Council Bluffs, we could probably also give you some pointers! He does good work! If you need his number, give me a shout.

10. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Nice set to find. No rodent marks on them ?? around here you are very lucky to find a set without the rodents eating them first...... I would think a light oak stain would bring them back to a more realistic look. What do the rest of you think? Show us some pics when your done with it..... Mac

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    nice find and I too am amazed that the rodents havent chewed it up thanks for sharing

12. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looks like a great find, sure it will look good when you're done.