Got a new puter

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by daystarchis, Jan 5, 2007.

1. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I came home Wed night to find this lap top in the box, a router in the box on my kitchen table:eek:oooh: I bout jumped through my skin. now the last put (desk top, was a used old rebuilt one. vini know what a dino it was. Any way this was a gift (late x mas) from my 17 year old daughter:eek:oooh:
    What I would like to know is anything i need to know bout lap tops and how to not only take care of them, but what to and not to down load ect... here is the link to the notebook:
    Gateway notebook MX3044
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/M210/5504sp3.shtml

2. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Hi daystarchis,
    I am in no way an expert. I do however provide tech support for my school site. We have 90 laptops and roughly 100 desktops. Now, we are 95% Mac but that shouldn't really matter for what you asked.

The most common problem that I see for laptops is batteries that no longer hold a charge. I have found that is because the users are not using a power cord when it is available. Constantly powering your laptop by its battery will significantly kill your battery's life. You also need to maintain your battery's memory. You actually can condition your battery to not hold a charge for as long as it is capable. You occassionally will need to let your battery completely drain and then fully recharge it.

The next most common problem that I see is damaged power cords. They get spliced, ripped, tripped on, or just kinked and then they become damaged beyond functioning. Just be careful with where your cord is lying and you should be fine. We had one teacher trip on her cord which dropped her and the laptop. Goodbye laptop as it fell right on the screen. It was not cost effective to repair the laptop.

You can squeeze some extra time from your battery when you are mobile. Just lower your screen brightness and remove any cd's or dvd's that are in your computer. Just don't forget to adjust the brightness once you are connected to the power cord. I have had many people come in and say that their laptop is dead. They feel kind of silly when all I do is increase the brightness and their desktop suddenly appears.

I also do virus/spyware removal for windows-based computers. That is not fun! Most everybody gets spyware by clicking on spam related links. Those popups that say "You just won such and such." Or, my favorite..."Your computer is infected with spyware. Click here to get a free scan." Click it and you will get spyware. I have had to clean one buddy's computer three times because he always clicks those darn pop-ups.

I hope that the post helps. Like I said before, I am not an expert but I do deal with computers on a daily basis so there is some truth behind what I offer as advice. LOL:lol:.

Enjoy your laptop.

orchardhills

PS...get a laptop bag. It really will help on trips. Try ebags.com Our district uses them quite a bit. ebags is not the best but not the most expensive either.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Bob, what school district are you in? What subs to you teach??
    My district Manhattan Beach Unified, is stuck on DELS... I have 8 old Doss base and 3 newer Win XP that I use in my Photography and drafting classes....Some of my puters are off line and most of the school is hooked up to a server that controls all the "garbage" that comes in...(most of the time... email .. another storey)
    Glad to see some new "inputs" on the BOC site....
    You've got Martin Luther day off too.... Let do some fishing...

bayrunner ray

4. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    I'm in Dinuba. It's in Tulare county. I teach 5th grade. We have filters in our district too. They are needed but so much junk gets in and so much useful info is blocked. Go figure.

I plan on fishing MLK day. I am gonna hit Pine Flat or the lower Kings River. I haven't decided which one. Hopefully it'll be both.

orchardhills

or

Bob